Seemingly major bug with email deletion in 3.0.2

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

rwebb616
First Timer

Seemingly major bug with email deletion in 3.0.2

Post by rwebb616 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:46 am

For some reason, when I retrieve a message and view it with PopTray, poptray takes upon itself the duty of automatically deleting that message not only from my mail server but also in the poptray message list. Some very critical messages have vanished on me due to my "I'll read this later" attitude. I'm presuming that this is not the intended operation. I could not find any options that indicated that behaviour.

At first I thought it was my email client, but when it happened again and my email client was not even open then I did some testing and sure enough it is poptray that is removing the message both from the server and it's own message list.

Please tell me it keeps a copy of the messages somewhere else?

mpot
Fanatic

Re: Seemingly major bug with email deletion in 3.0.2

Post by mpot » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:42 am

rwebb616 wrote:For some reason, when I retrieve a message and view it with PopTray, poptray takes upon itself the duty of automatically deleting that message not only from my mail server but also in the poptray message list. Some very critical messages have vanished on me due to my "I'll read this later" attitude. I'm presuming that this is not the intended operation. I could not find any options that indicated that behaviour.
Do you have any spam rules or similar configured to delete email?

PopTray certainly shouldn't be deleting any emails, unless you have configured it to do so....

Cheers,
Martin.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:34 pm

In PopTray on the OPTIONS tab, MISCELLANEOUS, chech the box for SAFE DELETE (USING UIDL).

In PopTray on the OPTIONS tab, USER INTERFACE, check the box for DELETION CONFIRMATION.

In PopTray on the OPTIONS tab, GENERAL OPTIONS, check the box for DELETE MAIL ONLY ON THE NEXT CHECK.

As suggested in the above posting, you may need to check the wording in your RULES. Maybe you should set them to MARK AS SPAM for testing until you have made sure they function as you expect.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.