"Open" does not launch the good email client

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

homaquebec
PopTray Family

"Open" does not launch the good email client

Post by homaquebec » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:25 pm

With the version 3.2 (beta 2), when, after having highligted a message, I click on the Open button, PopTray launches an email client that is not selected neither in the default options nor in the Account window of the account where is the message.

My default email client is Microsoft Outlook. The same client has been selected for the Vroom account. In this account, there is a new message. When I highlight it and click on the Open button, PopTray launches Outlook Express. :?

Is there something I can do to have the good email client being launched?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: "Open" does not launch the good email client

Post by KY Dave » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:58 pm

homaquebec wrote:My default email client is Microsoft Outlook. The same client has been selected for the Vroom account. In this account, there is a new message. When I highlight it and click on the Open button, PopTray launches Outlook Express. :?

Is there something I can do to have the good email client being launched?
If you want to run the specified email client, then you should click RUN EMAIL CLIENT Button.

AFAIK - For REPLY and OPEN PopTray should open your SYSTEM'S DEFAULT email client, NOT PopTray's Default client.

Are you SURE that OUTLOOK is the SYSTEM'S DEFAULT client?
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:08 pm

The Open button generates a file called "temp.eml" and runs that file. So it will open whatever email client is associated with the .eml extension.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Re: "Open" does not launch the good email client

Post by homaquebec » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:53 pm

KY Dave wrote:[...]

AFAIK - For REPLY and OPEN PopTray should open your SYSTEM'S DEFAULT email client, NOT PopTray's Default client.

Are you SURE that OUTLOOK is the SYSTEM'S DEFAULT client?
When I click on any email address, it is always Microsoft Outlook that is launched. How can I know if this email client is the SYSTEM'S DEFAULT client? And, if necessary, how can I make it being the SYSTEM'S DEFAULT client? An other detail: if I click on Reply, Poptray launches Microsoft Outlook but if I click on Open, it launches Outlook Express. :?:
Renier wrote:The Open button generates a file called "temp.eml" and runs that file. So it will open whatever email client is associated with the .eml extension.
In addition to work on PopTray, you will soon have to open a PopTray university like MacDollald did for its burgers! :lol:

Seriously, why does not the buttons Reply and Open both launch not the default email client indicated in the default options. Why make it complicated when it can be easy?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:35 pm

Renier wrote:The Open button generates a file called "temp.eml" and runs that file. So it will open whatever email client is associated with the .eml extension.
Thanks for clearing it up Renier.

If you want to use OUTLOOK when you click the OPEN button in PopTray then try this...

Open NOTEPAD and SAVE AS a file named "test.eml", (no quotation marks)

Then in WINDOWS EXPLORER, RIGHT CLICK on "test.eml" and select OPEN WITH...

when the OPEN WITH dialog box appears, select OUTLOOK or BROWSE and point to OUTLOOK.
Also check the box below for ALWAYS USE THE SELECTED PROGRAM TO OPEN THIS TYPE FILE.
Click OK.
homaquebec wrote:In addition to work on PopTray, you will soon have to open a PopTray university like MacDollald did for its burgers! :lol:

Seriously, why does not the buttons Reply and Open both launch not the default email client indicated in the default options. Why make it complicated when it can be easy?
The wording DEFAULT is misleading because it is for PopTray's DEFAULT, not the SYSTEM'S DEFAULT. If a user doesn't set an email client in each ACCOUNT, the ACCOUNT will use the PopTray DEFAULT Client set in PopTray when the RUN EMAIL CLIENT Button is clicked.

As Renier has explained before, PopTray must use the SYSTEM'S DEFAULT client for REPLY.

He has opened already opened "PopTray University", but instead of calling it PTU, he called it PopTray Forum.
We are ALL students :D
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:47 pm

KY Dave wrote:If you want to use OUTLOOK when you click the OPEN button in PopTray then try this...

Open NOTEPAD and SAVE AS a file named "test.eml", (no quotation marks)

Then in WINDOWS EXPLORER, RIGHT CLICK on "test.eml" and select OPEN WITH...

when the OPEN WITH dialog box appears, select OUTLOOK or BROWSE and point to OUTLOOK.
Also check the box below for ALWAYS USE THE SELECTED PROGRAM TO OPEN THIS TYPE FILE.
Click OK.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I did all that. I don't have the choice OPEN WITH; I just have OPEN. And if I click on OPEN, Outlook Express is launched. :roll:

An other suggestion :?:

homaquebec
PopTray Family

SOLUTION AHEAD

Post by homaquebec » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:17 pm

I found the solution. I will give the explanations later. I must prepare the post [in english].

P.S. Keep a place for me as teacher at the university. :lol:

homaquebec
PopTray Family

An answer

Post by homaquebec » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:44 pm

An answer is in this post.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:39 pm

I canceled everything I had done. Now, if I click on OPEN, Outlook Express is launched but THE MESSAGE IS NOT OPEN. I have to click on SEND/RECEIVE. Doing so, I download all the messages. I can also just wait for a while and the messages are downloaded without having to click on SEND/RECEIVE.

Following the information given above, I could set up Windows to open this file with Word or with a browser, the HTML being not decoded (same results than PREVIEW).

So, I just wonder about the utility of this feature the way it actually works. :oops:

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:42 am

homaquebec wrote:I don't have the choice OPEN WITH; I just have OPEN.
If you don't see a OPEN WITH option, try holding down shift while right-clicking the file.

I tried it now with Outlook, but it seems Outlook doesn't know how to open a .eml file with this default method.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:29 pm

Renier wrote:[...]If you don't see a OPEN WITH option, try holding down shift while right-clicking the file.

I tried it now with Outlook, but it seems Outlook doesn't know how to open a .eml file with this default method.
As I wrote, even by associating ELM file with Outlook Express, I do not VIEW the message, I launch Oulook Express. Is it what it is supposed to do?

I'll try during the day to find a freeware EML viewer. If I succeeded, it will be possible to open such a file as a raw message or as a decoded HLML one, and saved it.

To follow.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

La suite

Post by homaquebec » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:39 pm

I installed the new version of PopTray on an other computer (Win 98 SE with Outlook Express 5.x) and added the OPEN button in the mail window.

After having selected a message and clicked on OPEN, it took a while but the Outlook Express viewer opened and displayed the message. I had nothing else to do.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Will Bill G$$$ be happy?

Post by homaquebec » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:38 pm

The message that I read on this machine came from a Hotmail account and was notified by PopTray via the Hotmail plug-in. So, it means that if wanted, the incoming messages in the Hotmail account could be read and/or saved using Outlook Express or deleted, all that using PopTray without opening the Hotmail mailbox. :twisted:

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:06 pm

Without testing this, I guess that only one message can be opened at the same time. And, is this file removed after close?

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:15 pm

vitoco wrote:[...]
Without testing this, I guess that only one message can be opened at the same time. And, is this file removed after close?
Your guess is perfectly right! The file is not removed but replaced by the next one you will open: the one I used to make tests yesterday is still in the PopTray directory. :roll:

mpot
Fanatic

Post by mpot » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:53 pm

Renier wrote:If you don't see a OPEN WITH option, try holding down shift while right-clicking the file.

Outlook Express was associated with .eml files on my PCs, even though Thunderbird is my default mail application.

I haven't been able to get Thunderbird to open .eml files - after associating them with the Thunderbird exe, double-clicking an eml file does nothing, so it looks like Thunderbird doesn't know how to deal with them.

It looks like this "open" functionality isn't particularly useful unless you're happy to use Outlook Express to view the emails..... ;-)

Cheers,
Martin.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:07 pm

mpot wrote:[...[It looks like this "open" functionality isn't particularly useful unless you're happy to use Outlook Express to view the emails..... ;-)

Cheers,
Martin.
This morning, I installed the latest version of PopTray on a third machine (WIN 98 SE, Outlook Express). The new feature OPEN works perfectly and automatically. So, it is just in my main computer that it does not work; it is why I installed OE Viewer.

Does someboby know a light and free email client that reads EML file? I could installl it and associate it with files having EML extension. :roll:

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:38 pm

I could also rename the file to *.MSG
Will this work in your email clients?

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:01 pm

Renier wrote:I could also rename the file to *.MSG
Will this work in your email clients?
I opened a message in the inbox of Microsoft Outlook. I saved it, in the PopTray directory, in the message format - MSG. I closed all the applications. When I clicked on the name of the message, the Microsoft Outlook viewer opened displaying the file (message) that, originally, was in HTML.

So, I think that for me, it would be OK. Now, we have to know if most popular email clients can open such format. According to your answer, I could have to modify the translation of OPEN MESSAGE.

P.S. In addition, the icon for a MSG message is from the same family than PopTray's icons (an envelope). 8)

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:40 pm

:idea: Maybe it could be possible, in the advanced options, to give the choice to the user to write the extension identifying the type of format in which thew want the temporary file being saved. By defaut, it could be EML for many reasons, among them the fact that Outlook Express must be very popular and is free.

If it is not possible just to change the name of the extension, these four formats could be offered:
  • EML - Outlook Express and maybe some other email clients
  • MSG - Microsoft Outlook and maybe some other email clients
  • HTML - Universal format
  • TXT - Universal format
:roll: