Connect Error: Max line length exceeded

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

ChuckGuth
First Timer

Connect Error: Max line length exceeded

Post by ChuckGuth » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:12 am

This may not be a bug, only lack of capability, but I am regularly (as in three to five times a week) and increasingly getting "Connect error: Max line length exceeded" while checking an account that gets a lot of spam. When this happens PopTray simply stops processing the account. When I use another e-mail application to check the headers I can track down the offending message and find that the message is always one over 20K in length.

I am using PopTray 3.1.

Thanks for your consideration.

Chuck Guth

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: Connect Error: Max line length exceeded

Post by KY Dave » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:52 am

ChuckGuth wrote:...but I am regularly (as in three to five times a week) and increasingly getting "Connect error: Max line length exceeded" while checking an account that gets a lot of spam. When this happens PopTray simply stops processing the account.
Have you tried setting PopTray's OPTIONS TAB, ADVANCED OPTIONS, to IGNORE CONNECTION ERRORS and to IGNORE RETRIEVE ERRORS?
Then SAVE OPTIONS, QUIT PopTray and RESTART for changes to take effect.

PopTray should then keep checking your email even though it may not retrieve the specific email.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Osc
First Timer

Post by Osc » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:27 pm

I am also getting the error that ChuckGuth asked about and I am also using v3.1. As KY Dave suggests, ignore connection errors and ignore retrieve errors are enabled. This error has only recently shown itself for me. When I see this error, poptray stops processing and when I tell it to delete spam, it complains that it's "already connected" even though it isn't. If I try to delete spam again, poptray connects and appears to delete, updates the display (not showing the deleted messages) with no errors. Checking with my email client shows that, in fact, none of the spam was deleted.

I get about 300 messages a day, better than 90% of which are spam.

If there is anything I can show you (all) to help figure this out, let me know.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:29 pm

In PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, MISCELLANEOUS, do you have the box checked for USE SAFE DELETE (USING UIDL)?
I suggest using this setting to make sure PopTray doesn't delete the wrong email message.

What ANTIVIRUS/EMAIL SCANNER program is between PopTray and the internet email server?
What program is telling PopTray to MARK messages as SPAM?

I suggest trying this...

The next time PopTray 'barfs' on a message, QUIT PopTray and SHUT DOWN the ANTIVIRUS/EMAIL SCANNER completely.

Then RESTART PopTray and try retrieving the messages to see if PopTray is really the problem or if the ANTIVIRUS/EMAIL SCANNER is not sending the message and delete commands through correctly.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Osc
First Timer

Post by Osc » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:00 pm

KY Dave wrote:In PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, MISCELLANEOUS, do you have the box checked for USE SAFE DELETE (USING UIDL)?
I suggest using this setting to make sure PopTray doesn't delete the wrong email message.
Yes, I have this set.
KY Dave wrote:What ANTIVIRUS/EMAIL SCANNER program is between PopTray and the internet email server?
None. I use Avast and it is set to not scan email, nor is it (or anything else) acting as a proxy between any applications and the pop machine.
KY Dave wrote:What program is telling PopTray to MARK messages as SPAM?
Poptray rules. I used a web interface to my mailbox to remove garbage before I discovered Poptray.

I've been using Poptray for a few months with out error. I suspect this is a new type of malformed (shocking, I know) spam message that is tripping Poptray. If there is any interest I'm happy to run filemon and/or regmon (from sysinternals.com) and link the log files along with the results of rules.log when this error is generated. Is there any way to force Poptray to log it's own errors? If so, I'll include that as well.

Osc
First Timer

Post by Osc » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:22 pm

After reading other posts I find that the beta version seems to have corrected this issue. yay =]

Prior to discovering this I decided to change my rules anticipating a request for logs. The only thing I did was disable the auto delete from server. Either the misconfigured email stopped at the same time or this has fixed it. I've not gotten this error for a full week now.

alderwood
First Timer

Post by alderwood » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:02 am

Since last monday PopTray didnot announce any mail.
I had the same sentence "Connect error: Max line length exceeded"
After I visited this forum I checked upon the mentioned options
and all items were enabled.

I then installed the 3.2 version4 bèta, checked the options,
but without result. Didnot function either.

Disabling AVG anti-virus and ZoneAlarm did not make any
difference.

I exited Poptray started MailwasherPro which worked perfectly.

So I uninstalled PopTray, which I liked very much.
I hope to get the solution to ensure a proper working again.

darkb
Still here

Post by darkb » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:38 am

I also have this problem. My settings are the same you have said in this post but 3.2 beta 4 doesn't fix the problem :(

The email that seems to be the reason is the following:

Code: Select all

[EDITED]

AFAIK - There is no point posting the problem email to the forum.

If you have an email that you can use to reproduce the error more than once, post the problem and ask Renier if he wants it emailed to him. 

Thanks
KY Dave

[EDITED]
I can't read this email in Poptray but email is loaded before poptray fails in K9 so I recover from there.

Is there any idea about this bug?

darkb
Still here

Post by darkb » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:26 pm

KY Dave, I'm sorry if posting the email was wrong. I thought it could be useful to find a solution.

I could read my inbox after deleting that email (that was the first in inbox folder) so I think it's a clue to resolve the bug.

Again, excuses if I did something wrong.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:10 pm

darkb wrote:KY Dave, I'm sorry if posting the email was wrong. I thought it could be useful to find a solution.

I could read my inbox after deleting that email (that was the first in inbox folder) so I think it's a clue to resolve the bug.

Again, excuses if I did something wrong.
It's not a big deal. No need for apologies. I just edited the posting because it was too large and too wide.

I think it will help more, if Renier requests you to send the email and then you send the email directly to him.

Thanks for your interest in helping find a solution! :D
KY Dave

Family Blog

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Sat May 06, 2006 10:34 pm

I've increased the Maximum Line Length to 64k in PopTray 3.2 (beta 5). Let me know if it solves your problem.

darkb
Still here

Post by darkb » Mon May 08, 2006 12:07 am

Renier wrote:I've increased the Maximum Line Length to 64k in PopTray 3.2 (beta 5). Let me know if it solves your problem.
I had an inbox backup (waiting for this moment :wink:) so I was able to reproduce that bug and I can say yes, this bug is fixed now :D :D