System stutters when checking for mail

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

gordon.m
First Timer

System stutters when checking for mail

Post by gordon.m » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:19 pm

I really like PopTray but one problem I have is that it seems to use 100% CPU when checking mail. If I'm playing a game which is CPU intensive and it checks for mail, the game pauses and stutters. Would it be possible to add an option to lower the priority of PopTray so that it doesn't use so much CPU during mail checks, or is there a way to lower CPU utilization via Windows XP settings?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: System stutters when checking for mail

Post by KY Dave » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:55 pm

gordon.m wrote:Would it be possible to add an option to lower the priority of PopTray so that it doesn't use so much CPU during mail checks, or is there a way to lower CPU utilization via Windows XP settings?
Yes you can set it using Win XP.

Start by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the TASK MANAGER.

Then click on PROCESSES TAB and RIGHT CLICK on POPTRAY.EXE...

Click SET PRIORITY and choose either BELOW NORMAL or LOW.

Close TASK MANAGER.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

gordon.m
First Timer

Post by gordon.m » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:11 pm

Thanks for your response. I did try setting it to low priority and it helped some but things still stuttered noticeably, plus the priority gets reset when you reboot. I have an AMD 3800+ so I don't think lack of horsepower is the problem. Maybe an option could be added that would insert some "sleep" time to reduce monopolizing the processor?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:19 pm

gordon.m wrote:Thanks for your response. I did try setting it to low priority and it helped some but things still stuttered noticeably, plus the priority gets reset when you reboot. I have an AMD 3800+ so I don't think lack of horsepower is the problem. Maybe an option could be added that would insert some "sleep" time to reduce monopolizing the processor?
I don't know what 'sleep' time would mean.

It sounds like the game is taking too many resources to run smoothly, with as many applications as you are running. On my old P3 500MHz with 256 Megs of RAM PopTray peaks out at about 8% of the CPU, your system should be able to handle that demand. Look at the FPS of the game and see if that could be set lower so your system could handle it.

Some gamers create a second USER account in Windows, with different settings and less programs running for lower demand on their system's resources. They login to that USER account to play, then log out and login to their regular USER account to run the normal applications.

You also could...

RIGHT click on PopTray's system tray icon and DISABLE AUTOCHECK. Then PopTray wouldn't 'stutter your game'...

or in PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, ADVANCED OPTIONS, Check the box for AUTOCHECK ONLY WHILE MINIMIZED and then RESTORE PopTray's window so it would not be checking. Then when you have finished your game, click the TO TRAY button in PopTray to start autochecking again.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

gordon.m
First Timer

Post by gordon.m » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:25 pm

Autocheck is kinda the only reason to have it resident in the system tray (for me anyway).

Here's what the sleep function is if you're interested: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... /sleep.asp