Poptray 3.2 beta 4 hangs after activating a rule

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Ghostbuster
First Timer

Poptray 3.2 beta 4 hangs after activating a rule

Post by Ghostbuster » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:55 pm

hi there,
i'm a first timer, and i'm having some problems.
i'm running Poptray 3.2 beta 4 on a win2000 server P3 800mhz with 512MB
i use a blacklist ( about a 250 ) + rules ( 34 )
some complicated with reg expr
enabled options are:
-connection time out
-quick checking
-ignore connection errors
-ignore retrieve errors
-retrieve body while checking
-deletion confirmation
-safe delete
-log rules
and i am experiencing the following problem:
sinds i activated a rule for intercepting mails with a specific subject and attachment,Poptray hangs.
i've tryed to give the poptray.exe a higher process priority, but that didn't help.
the rule is simple:
needed: all rows
body - wildcard - *content-type.gif*
subject - contains - [Possibly Spam]
action - delete from server
log rule
when i first tested it, it worked perfect -> deleted the testmail with the attachment inside.
but when set into action and recieving some mails, it hangs after about 20 seconds.
is there something i can do to make this work ?
Thanks,
Ghostbuster.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:12 am

Not knowing your entire setup, here are a couple of questions and things you might try:

Does your RULE cause PopTray to 'hang' or is it waiting on the server.

You might try checking that out by changing a setting...

in PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, GENERAL OPTIONS, check the box for DELETE MAIL ONLY ON NEXT CHECK.

How large are the messages you are trying to delete and how fast is your connection??

You might want to set PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, ADVANCED OPTIONS, under the RETRIEVE BODY WHILE CHECKING Option, check the box for ONLY DOWNLOAD IF SIZE LESS THAN [20]. By setting it low, then large messages won't cause the program to wait for a long time on a slow connection.

After changing OPTIONS, QUIT PopTray and RESTART for changes to take effect.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Ghostbuster
First Timer

Post by Ghostbuster » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:31 am

Thank you KY Dave for the response.
Sorry for the sometimes bad or wrong english, my girlfriend checked it yesterday and told me i made some big mistakes.
Im not used of typing in english.
Ok, first : for Belgian standards i have a fast line ( ADSL 3916 kbps down, 423 kbps up )
i receive about 500 mails in 24 hours, 5% over the 1068 kb ( sometimes over 5000 kb), 25% between 512 and 1068 kb, 70% below 512 kb.
I've tested what you have suggested, setting options to ONLY DOWNLOAD IF SIZE LESS THAN [20] and DELETE MAIL ONLY ON NEXT CHECK. and it worked !
Then i turned of the option DELETE MAIL ONLY ON NEXT CHECK and set the download to 100 -> worked also perfect!
Setting the download to 512 worked also ( less than 60 sec. to check 50 mails )
Seems indeed that large messages causes the server to stop responding and as a result also PopTray ?
Problem is that i would like to check the large messages to + in very near future also for other kind attachments than .gif ( avi, mpeg, pps ...)
Do i need a faster server ( mhz.) or are there other solutions to the problem ?
Thanks again KY Dave,
Ghostbuster.

Ghostbuster
First Timer

Post by Ghostbuster » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Maybe a stupid question but, is it necessary to download a big part or the whole message for PopTray and my rules to find out if a sertain message contains an attachment ?
Otherwise, can PopTray check a message of 5 meg. without downloading it and see if there is an attachment like mentioned in the rule ? (body - wildcard - *content-type.gif*)
If so, then i could leave the settings for ONLY DOWNLOAD IF SIZE LESS THAN [20] - or more - and still intercept the mails as intended ?
Ghostbuster.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:07 pm

AFAIK - Yes it is possible to check for attachments without downloading the body.

You should be able to use a RULE to check the AREA of HEADER for the same words.

Give this a try...

Leave your current RULE like it is, but DISABLE it.

Create a RULE using the same CRITERIA, except the AREA of HEADER. If some messages have a slightly different wording simply ADD ROW and add that TEXT.

If your new RULE works, then change your settings and don't download the entire message body if that won't affect your other RULEs.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.