balloon popup showing messages from other account

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

protective1
First Timer

balloon popup showing messages from other account

Post by protective1 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:09 am

I'm not sure if I understand what's happening, but Poptray (3.2b5 and 3.1) keep popping up unnecessary notices. Here's the scenario: I have two accounts, A and B. A is checked every 5 minutes, B every 30 minutes. (A uses the IMAP C++ plugin, B uses the pop3.html plugin).

When A is checked (every 5 minutes), messages downloaded during the previous check of B get popped up in the advanced info balloon. Why are these messages from B popping up when A is checked? Is this the way it's supposed to work? I see notices for these same messages from B every 5 minutes.

Thanks for your help in figuring this out.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:37 pm

Isn't this the desired function?

You are NOT considered 'notified' of the messages in the account until you click on the account tab, so PopTray continues to 'notify' you of new messages in both accounts.

PopTray has no way of 'knowing' you have seen the ADVANCED INFO BALLOON until you click on the account tab.

This function sometimes has erractic behavior on different PCs.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

protective1
First Timer

Post by protective1 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:38 am

I've been experimenting trying to understand Poptray's (3.2b5) definitions for "new" and "unviewed" messages. New messages get deemed "not new" (no longer have a special icon) by Poptray the next time it checks the same account again. Also, unviewed messages get deemed "viewed" (unbolded) when you click away from their account tab to another account tab. Unviewed messages also become "viewed" if Poptray checks the *same* account again (I guess only "new" messages can be "unviewed").

If I understand correctly, the balloon tip is popping up messages that are new (have a special icon). It seems that it should instead popup messages that are unviewed (in bold). Because what happens is the scenario I described in the first message of this forum - when Poptray checks messages for account A, you get a balloon tip notifying you of the "new" messages in all accounts (A&B), but this is annoying if you have already previewed account B's "new" messages already. The messages from account B are still considered "new" by Poptray because Poptray hasn't checked account B in the interim, but I consider them "not new" because I've already read them via preview. For instance, currently if account B only gets checked once a day, and account A gets checked 1000 times a day, I'll get 1000 balloon tips for the messages in account B each day (one for every time Poptray checks account A), no matter how many times I preview/open those messages in account B. The balloon tips for account B messages only stop the next time account B gets checked (when all the old account B messages get marked "not new").

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:02 am

KY Dave wrote:This function sometimes has erractic behavior on different PCs.
I have three PCs running PopTray and I don't use the OPTIONS TAB, GENERAL OPTIONS, INFO BALLOON ON NOTIFICATION because of the description you posted and my quoted statement.

In my experiences with PopTray, NO amount of clicking the INFO BALLOON to MARK AS READ had any results on the messages still being shown.

I have much better results with SHOW WINDOW ON NOTIFICATION.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:52 am

I don't use the ADVANCED INFO BALLOON either, so unfortunately it isn't tested that well. I guess it would make sense to not include "viewed" messages in it.