Deleting the wrong messages!

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Fedorov
Still here

Deleting the wrong messages!

Post by Fedorov » Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:01 am

Hi, trying v2.1 beta3

Have got 2 of my home accounts and added my 1 work account.

I check the work account from home to delete unwanted spam etc, so I control-clicked all the junk emails shown by PopTray and hit the Delete key, confirmed the delete....

My spam mail was still there and it had deleted some genuine (important) emails instead!!!

So I sent myself 3 emails to my home account using subjects Test1, Test2 and Test3 and selected each one in PopTray and it deleted the CORRECT ones okay.

Has anyone else ever come across this? I was performing the same spam clearing process using SimpleCheck before without problems.

Hope we can clear this one up as PopTray is very good and I would like to replace SimpleCheck.

Regards, Fedorov.

pbrouwer
First Timer

re: Deleting the wrong messages!

Post by pbrouwer » Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:32 am

Yes -- I have come across this too, and there was a brief thread about this some months back... I think I've figured out what causes this, but
I haven't tested it -- but, neither do I ever get wrong messages deleted...

I have mulitple email accounts, now I wait until an account message window is completely refreshed before I select a tab for a different email account.

I think that if you select an email account tab while the account message list is being updated -- then something in poptray's index of messages for that account gets corrupted -- subsequently, returning to that account, and deleting messages, may cause the wrong messages to be deleted.

hope this helps... this is probably a bug -- my guess is that poptray should "lock" onto the tab of the account being updated before it allows you to select another tab.

/peter

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:38 pm

Well, possibly. I think I observed something strange once, the wrong mail was deleted, and when I re-checked the account I noticed that new mails had arrived since the first check.

Does PopTray use unique ID's?

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:22 pm

PopTray uses unique ID's when checking if new mails, but not for deleting.

You'll see it is listed on my TODO list to check unique id's when deleting, but this will require that I first download the header before deleting each message, to check that it is still the same message.

Fedorov
Still here

Post by Fedorov » Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:58 pm

I guess I'll have to stick with SimpleCheck a while longer then :-(

Please don't be offended but the fact that it is possible for PopTray to delete the wrong messages is highly dangerous and I feel the Delete feature should be disabled until it can do it reliably like SimpleCheck.

Incidentally, I'd like to know how SimpleCheck manages to check my accounts so much faster thaen PopTray!

I think you should take a look and see what I mean.

Regards,

Fedorov.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:14 pm

Fedorov wrote:Incidentally, I'd like to know how SimpleCheck manages to check my accounts so much faster thaen PopTray!
SimpleCheck uses the POP3 UIDL command to check if there were any changes on the server, and then only downloads the headers of the messages that changed.

I never did this, because UIDL is listed as an optional command and I'm not sure if all POP3 server support it. I've added it to my TODO list though, since using the UIDL command can also be used to safeguard against deleting the wrong message.

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:03 pm

Renier wrote:I never did this, because UIDL is listed as an optional command and I'm not sure if all POP3 server support it. I've added it to my TODO list though, since using the UIDL command can also be used to safeguard against deleting the wrong message.
I'm using Qualcomm Eudora mail program, and every time I check all my accounts I see the UIDL command pass on the taskbar... Maybe now every Pop3 server supports UIDL also if it is an optional... But, I don't know! :oops:

condor
First Timer

to Renier, UID check

Post by condor » Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:34 pm

... but this will require that I first download the header before deleting each message, to check that it is still the same message ...

I believe you should not download the header before deleting each message. You get header once with UID. When deleting message, you check, whether this UID which corressponds to this message, exists on server or not (this is very fast).

You can also check, whether server supports UID or not.

if UIDL(templist, -1) then
MessageDlg('Server "' + Accounts.Server + '" supports UID!',
mtInformation, [mbOK], 0);

condor

toaster13
First Timer

Post by toaster13 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:18 pm

my company is looking to use poptray for notification but this "delete the wrong mail" bug is concerning my IT director. can anyone confirm conditions that cause the wrong messages to be deleted? As far as i can tell from looking at the source and playing with my pop server there shouldn't be any problems unless a pop client downloads and deletes an e-mail, the account gets a new message, and then you try to delete the already retrieved messages from poptray without re-checking the mailbox. i'd love to hear thouhgts.

as far as adding uid functionality, i'm not sure how standard it is but it is in the RFC as an official option. i think that makes it availible on most servers since its been like 10 years since that rfc was written (i'm guessing but i bet i'm right).
I don't know delphi or have access to the indy networking components you used but conceptually adding UID to deleting messages should be simple.

if it isn't already there, Accounts[].Mail[] should have a UID field that gets filled when you check your messages. also there should be a standard popID for each one.

then all you have to do is add a line or two to DeleteMail that fetches the UID of the message you want to delete and compares it to the previously retrieved UID. if they don't match, cancel the delete and refresh, maybe popping up an error box that says "Something changed behind my back, refetching headers...". or you could automate it by refreshing the headers and UIDs and searching for the UID you wanted to delete to begin with, etc, etc. you get the idea. I think i'm talking about no more than 15 lines of code (excluding error dialogs). please let me know what you think, and what your timetable for adding UID deletion is so we can decide whether to go with poptray or another client.

Thanks guys

--Travis

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:53 pm

toaster13 wrote:my company is looking to use poptray for notification but this "delete the wrong mail" bug is concerning my IT director. can anyone confirm conditions that cause the wrong messages to be deleted? As far as i can tell from looking at the source and playing with my pop server there shouldn't be any problems unless a pop client downloads and deletes an e-mail, the account gets a new message, and then you try to delete the already retrieved messages from poptray without re-checking the mailbox. i'd love to hear thouhgts.
Well, that is exactly what happened to me (client deleted a message and I deleted from PopTray without rechecking)... once or twice. :cry:

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:24 am

That is exactly how I want to use UIDL for safer deletes.

The only way I can see that you might delete the wrong message is if another program deleted some messages, since PopTray last checked, and you then delete something.

You'll see on my TODO list that I've moved the safer delete option to a higher priority.

Fedorov
Still here

Post by Fedorov » Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:04 pm

Well I am the only person who checks the company emails from home so nothing else was accessing the mail server while I did the deletes :-(

I'll look forward to trying the new safer option when you get it implemented.

Regards,

Fedorov.

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:37 pm

Maybe at the same moment while you were deleting the messages the server was writing a new message and/or making some rebuilding job... :(