[POSSIBLE BUG] PopTray + SpamPal

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

larry
Still here

[POSSIBLE BUG] PopTray + SpamPal

Post by larry » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:49 am

PopTray v3.2
SpamPal v1.73g (beta) (all plugins disabled)

I don't know if this is a PT or a SP bug. I posted in the SP forums (http://www.spampalforums.org/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=9273) and thought i should post here too. This is pretty much a copy of what i posted there:

There's a problem with PopTray in that it is no longer able to preview messages (a completely blank preview window). It appears to be downloading the mail, but is unable to display it.

Another thing that happens after i try to preview a mail, close the preview window and then re-check the same account, is that PopTray will display an error its task bar:

Code: Select all

connect error: unrecognized POP3 response header: " "
The above only happens if i try to preview the mail first.

What's really weird is that after trying to preview an email from one account and getting the error, i will get the same error for every other account ONLY if there's mail on the server for that account.

If requested, i'll post my SP PT config's

I have SP logging enabled, but i didn't see anything in the logs that seems to help. I re-enabled some PopTray error checking and got some possibly helpful info. The error is:

Code: Select all

unable to retrieve message. TProgressBar property out of range.
I've played around with the setting for both apps and have had no joy so far. I should also mention that my mail client, Thunderbird, is able to view the mails just fine.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:38 pm

Have you compared the THUNDERBIRD Account Settings to the PopTray Account Settings?

You should be able to use the EXACT same settings for both programs.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

larry
Still here

Post by larry » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:51 pm

The settings are the same (user, server, password). I've been using PT for many years and TB for probably over 3 years. This problem happens only if i try to preview while SpamPal is running, which i just started using yesterday. I just got a few emails this morning and without thinking, i tried to preview one of them. PT seems to be downloading the message, but both preview windows are completely empty.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:55 pm

Note 2: If you are using the RegExFilter Plugin
a) In order to get RegEx Filter to scan the whole message body of these emails, you will need to add the
command CHECKPREVIEW into the filters.dat file.

Strictly speaking, RegExFilter also checks messages that are received by the TOP command when CHECKPREVIEW is added to the rule file. Because of speed reasons RegExFilter does not check TOP received messages (message previews) by default

b) You will also need to go to the Connections options, bring up the POP3 port properties and set the amount
of message body to filter for Message Previews and for Full Message fetches to be the same value or perhaps increase both values a little

What happens is VPOP3 first fetches just the message preview (the first entry for the message in your logfile; as you can see, it's not marked as spam), stores the subject line from that, then fetches the message entirely - in the default setting SpamPal will look at more of the message, and in this case RegExFilter finds something further down the
message that causes it to be tagged as spam. However, VPOP3 then puts the subject line it fetched with the message preview onto the message, hence the problem you're seeing.

http://www.spampal.org/usermanual/clien ... ptray.html
My guess is you're using the RegExFilter Plugin and it needs alterations. The link is from the SPAM PAL web site.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

larry
Still here

Post by larry » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:06 pm

problem occurs without any plug-ins enabled.
i disabled all plugs and restarted SpamPal to be sure they were unloaded.