Email disappears from Account Tab?

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

MattSchwartz
Still here

Email disappears from Account Tab?

Post by MattSchwartz » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Hi, I am using GMAIL with the SSL plugin. When I OPEN the email by double clicking on it, close it, and then do a check all, the EMAIL disappears, is deleted! If I have 4 emails in there, and a check all retrieves more new ones, they are all in there, ok, - unless I OPEN an email close it and do a check all and that email disappears. Is this by design? How can I prevent this from happening? Other than that, this product works ok now.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:01 pm

I believe this is a setting inside your GMAIL ACCOUNT.

LOGIN to your GMAIL ACCOUNT, SETTINGS, FORWARDING AND POP...

in POP DOWNLOAD, change #2 to KEEP GMAIL'S COPY IN THE INBOX.

Click SAVE CHANGES.

Then when PopTray or any other email client accesses your GMAIL ACCOUNT the messages will be left on the server until you DELETE them.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

MattSchwartz
Still here

Post by MattSchwartz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:01 am

Gmail's POP settings DO keep it in the inbox. Ok further info. If you preview the message, close it, then preview it again, you will get an error saying "unable to retrieve message number out of range", if you attempt to PREVIEW it again, you will get a program fault / ACCESS VIOLATION and the program crashes EVERY TIME. Can you possibly confirm this if you use Gmail? Can you relay this bug to the developer?

scarney
Still here

Post by scarney » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:56 am

i believe gmail 'marks messages as read' when ever you access your account via POP3. so previewing it a 2nd time will confuse the program. hence the errors. which makes me ask..

will it ever be possible to TRUELY delete msg's from gmail servers via poptray, or any other pop3 client?. i think probably not until google changes that "marks as read setting" is that possible?. it would be nice to not have to log into gmail to clean up, as often as i have to.

btw poptray rocks! ;)

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:43 am

Part of the problem is GMAIL isn't really POP3 standards compliant. It is really a Web Mail with POP3 access, which doesn't really work correctly.

Sorry, I can't confirm your problems, because I don't use the SSL Plugin to access GMAIL.

I actually have all 6 of my GMAIL Accounts forward the 'good' email to a single POP3 Account. That way GMAIL sorts out the spam and it keeps my email address private unless I want someone to have it.

You should be able to change GMAIL's action on POP3 access, at least I can.

I'll make sure Renier sees your post.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

MattSchwartz
Still here

OK!

Post by MattSchwartz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:02 am

Ok good response, we'll see what the developer does with this.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:28 pm

Sorry, but I also don't use Gmail a lot, so I can't talk with any experience.

It does sound like Gmail isn't very POP3 compliant. I don't know if there is much that a client (like PopTray) can do about that.