PopTray's ini file is gone after cold boot...

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

PopTray's ini file is gone after cold boot...

Post by rvdc2003 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:11 am

Since I installed PopTray 3.0 beta 10 yesterday, I've been experiencing the weirdest problem. Whenever I do a cold boot (so turn the computer on after it's complete off), PopTray's ini file is gone--that is, it's been replaced by a poptray.ini file that is 0 bytes in size. This doesn't happen with a warm boot (so do a restart from the Start menu). How odd...

Has anyone else had this problem?

Ron

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

This doesn't happen with beta 9

Post by rvdc2003 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:25 am

As a check, I reverted back to beta 9, and it doesn't happen with this release.

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

Doesn't happen on my computer at work

Post by rvdc2003 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:29 pm

My computer at work doesn't have this problem, even though I'm running beta 10 on it.

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

Hardware

Post by rvdc2003 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:41 pm

By the way, I'm running Windows XP Professional at home and Windows 2000 Professional at work.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:47 pm

Can you reliably re-create the error? I'm also using WinXP Professional, without problems.

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

I'll test it...

Post by rvdc2003 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:41 pm

It happened every time I did a cold boot at home last night (never after a warm boot). I'll do some more testing tonight. I'll post the results here sometime tomorrow.

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

Problem still there...

Post by rvdc2003 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:21 am

I've done some more testing on my computer at home, and I'm afraid the problem hasn't gone away. Every single time I do a cold boot, the poptray.ini file has file size 0. This happens consistently. There are no accounts (obviously, since the configuration file is gone) and PopTray doesn't start minimized (which I guess is the default setting).
Reverting to beta 9 resolves the problem.

Suggestions anyone?
Ron

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

Solved! (I think...)

Post by rvdc2003 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:56 pm

I think I solved the problem.
It seemed to be caused by an application I was also running in the background to optimize Windows' file cache management (O&O CleverCache; www.oo-software.com). Anyway, when I turned that off, things seem to work for PopTray 3.0 beta 10.

Perhaps PopTray, when exiting, always wants to write its configuration file to disk and O&O CleverCache somehow intervened or something (timeout issue perhaps)? It's funny, though, that I didn't have any problem with beta 9 and earlier; it all started with beta 10. Did anything change in beta 10?

Renier, what are your thoughts on this? Does it sound plausible?

Ron
(who's a happy camper because he can use his favorite e-mail notifier again!)

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

Nope! Not solved...

Post by rvdc2003 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:02 am

Well, it turned out not to be the cache optimizer. After uninstalling, everything seemed to be alright again at first, but after a few cold boots, the same problem came up again.
Anyway, now I'm suspecting a few Windows XP tweaks I did through a little utility called XP Smoker. If I return all optimizations to their default Windows settings, things seem to work.

Perhaps Renier can have a quick look at XP Smoker and see if there are any optimizations that might affect PopTray? You can download the software at http://www.xp-smoker.com.

Ron

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:36 pm

Tweaks... always gave me trouble, never gave me advantages worth mentioning! There is a reason why casual users are kept at a safe distance from certain system settings.

Take a look at the "reviews" at the site! Private persons... I never believed these testimonials, and further they are impossible to verify.

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

Solved! (For real, I think...)

Post by rvdc2003 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:14 am

I played around with the tweaks, and everything seems to work now.
By the way, I agree with Curtz that most testimonials are completely bogus. The claims that some of these people make about performance improvements are downright ludricous. That said, a number of tweaks do make a difference--granted, not to the extent that many of the testimonials claim, but I like my machine to run at optimum performance, and some small tweaks do help, even if it is a bit. By default, Windows is set to accommodate for the largest common denominator. You can do some fine-tuning based on your specific processor, amount of RAM, internet connection, etc.

Ron

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:18 am

The only thing related that changed in beta 10, is that when saving the ini file fails, Poptray will still exit. Earlier version it wasn't possible to quit when PopTray.ini is readonly or the drive is missign, etc.