English Research

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Renier
Site Admin

English Research

Post by Renier » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:33 am

Did you know:
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed rvey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe
Thanks Slow Arrow, I really like this...

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:32 am

Two days ago i received the following lines:
Vlgones een oznrdeeok op een Eglnese uvinretsiet mkaat het neit uit in wlkee vloogdre de ltteers in een wrood saatn, het einge wat blegnaijrk is is dat de eretse en de ltaatse ltteer op de jiutse patals saatn. De rset van de ltteers mgoen wllikueirg gpletaast wdoren en je knut vrelvogens gwoeon lzeen wat er saatt. Dit kmot odmat we neit ekle ltteer op zcih lzeen maar het wrood als gheeel.
It is an exact translation of the english text. In dutch it works the same way.
Amazing!

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:51 pm

Afugrnud enier Sduite an enier Elingshcen Unvirestiät ist es eagl, in wlehcer Rienhnelfoge die Bcuhtsbaen in eniem Wrot sethen, das enizg wcihitge dbaei ist, dsas der estre und lzete Bcuhtsbae am rcihgiten Paltz snid. Der Rset knan ttolaer Bölsdinn sien, und du knasnt es torztedm onhe Porbelme lseen. Das ghet dseahlb, wiel wir nchit Bcuhtsbae für Bcuhtsbae enizlen lseen, snodren Wröetr als Gnaezs.
I like the WWW - the same here in German :wink:

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:23 pm

I understand the Dutch one without too much trouble too.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:45 pm

This news is interesting - we have the same with a text in French - but since tens of years there are courses given on hot to read a document very fast. There were some tips given in those courses but, essentially, it turned about the fact that, when we read fast, we do not really read, we take a kind of picture of the text.

I hope students will not learn to write this way! :o

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:50 pm

Have you ever heard of Free Speling?

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:07 pm

Renier wrote:Have you ever heard of Free Speling?
If you mean "writing to the sound", yes. If you dont, No. Tell me more please. Or suggest me a link. :oops:

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:08 pm

Klik on the Free Speling link above.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:23 pm

Renier wrote:Klik on the Free Speling link above.
Thanks. Many people already use the freespelling according to what I see here (I dont mean the forum) and there. We are at the level that at the university of my town, in some specialties, students wont get their diploma if they dont succeed a French language test. They will have the possibility of having courses and if, after two years, they dont succeed, they will have to quit.

According to what I read here and there, the problem is the same with many languages.

Please dont make publicity for this way of doing! :evil:

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:59 pm

The first time I read this is Italian was some time ago... Internet nice things sometimes come again back...! :wink:
Sceodno una rcrecia sovtla in una uviniserta' iatilana, non ha
ipmotrzana in qalue odrnie le ltetree snoo dsioptse in una proala l'ucina
csoa ipmotratne e' che la pmira e l'utlmia ltereta sanio al psoto gustio.
Il rseto puo' esrese una talote cnfosounie ed esrese acnroa cmpolteanemte
cmprosneilibe.
Qeutso prehce' non lgegamio ongi sniolga ltertea ma la praloa nlela sua
itnezreza. Czazo!

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:52 pm

This arrived this week in spanish:
Sgeun un etsduio de una uivenrsdiad ignlsea, no ipmotra el odren en el que las ltears etsan ersciats, la uicna csoa ipormtnate es que la pmrirea y la utlima ltera esten ecsritas en la psiocion cocrrtea. El rsteo peuden estar ttaolmntee mal y aun pordas lerelo sin pobrleams. Etso es pquore no lemeos cada ltera por si msima preo la paalbra es un tdoo.
Pesornamelnte me preace icrneilbe... :o

++V

vitoco
Veteran

EuroEnglish

Post by vitoco » Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:33 pm

homaquebec wrote:Please dont make publicity for this way of doing! :evil:
Some years ago, I received the following:
EuroEnglish

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short). In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c".

Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with "k." Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "W" by "V".

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil b no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

Ze drem vil finali kum tru !!!
++V :P

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:42 am

It srue wlil
Support World Animal Protection!

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."

John
Enthusiast

English Spelling

Post by John » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:41 am

I thought you would like this one, Renier...

A large amount of typing errors are caused by 3 reasons:
1. Carelessness
2. Spelling differences across countries (e.g. color/colour)
3. Nonnative English speakers trying to cope with illogical spelling rules

I now strongly suggest we should try to simplify the language. To try and do this in one attempt could be disastrous, so I think we should phase it in over a 5 year period. My suggestions are as follows, and I hope you will agree.

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly, sivil servants will reseive this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replased with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replased by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. We will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always been a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgraful, and they would go.

By the forth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by "v".

During ze fifz year ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" , so Soup will then be known as Sup and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz year, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trobls or difikultis and evrivum vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru.
John

NAM ET IPSA
SCIENTIA POTESTAS EST
(Knowledge is Power)

Tonio

Post by Tonio » Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:08 am

ilNebbioso wrote:The first time I read this is Italian was some time ago... Internet nice things sometimes come again back...! :wink:
Sceodno una rcrecia sovtla in una uviniserta' iatilana, non ha
ipmotrzana in qalue odrnie le ltetree snoo dsioptse in una proala l'ucina
csoa ipmotratne e' che la pmira e l'utlmia ltereta sanio al psoto gustio.
Il rseto puo' esrese una talote cnfosounie ed esrese acnroa cmpolteanemte
cmprosneilibe.
Qeutso prehce' non lgegamio ongi sniolga ltertea ma la praloa nlela sua
itnezreza. Czazo!
E' interessante l'anagramma dell'ultima parola (is interesting the anagram of the last word)