Almost 900 Members now...

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:33 pm

hmmmm.... i like this thread :)

Triggered by dave's remarks about the miss elections i did some googling, even though in my opinion there is nothing so futile as electing any miss "whatsoever".

Some info about miss universe/world can be read at

http://slate.msn.com/id/2091706/

To make a non-item even more complicated there also seems to be a miss america contest. From their website i learned that contestants should be US citizens.
Confused??

At least i am :)

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:55 pm

quosego wrote:To make a non-item even more complicated there also seems to be a miss america contest. From their website i learned that contestants should be US citizens.
Confused??

At least i am :)
It's even worse than that. The Miss America contestants are the winners of the 50 separate state pageants (i.e. Miss Hawaii, Miss Illinois, Miss California, Miss Understanding, Miss Guided, Miss Conception, etc.) :lol:

Plus there's Miss Teenage America, Miss Black America, Miss Hispanic America, Miss Baby America, etc., etc., etc, each populated by the winners of the state versions of those pageants. :o

Oh, yeah, and don't forget, there's also Mrs. America, and all of its variations. :roll:
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
http://www.computerbob.com
One Of The Largest One-Person Sites On The Web
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:09 pm

Here is the basic history of our using the name America, it may not be all inclusive, but it is fairly acurate.

Basically, we received the name of America by default. After Columbus came over, the continent itself was being refered to as the America's. Later, when the individual states joined forces to oppose England, we started calling that union as the United States of America. You should also realize that at this point in history, the 13 colonies or states not only constituted the majority of the settlements in this continent, the English communities had already started refering to us as the Americans and from there the name for the nationality stuck. The other colonies, started by other counties, then began selecting their names by whatever those colonies or governments saw fit and chose to not use the America part since that was already commonly being used to refer the original 13 English colonies. After that we've refered to ourselves also as just the United States and also USA to simply refer to ourselves with shorter terms, but we still think of ourselves, as a people, as Americans.

Just as a parent can name their children what they see fit. When we decided to have a country wide beauty contest, we felt it was fitting to simply call it the Miss America contest, it just sounded better to us than Miss USA or Miss United States of America. It was never meant as a reference to the continent of the America's, but simply to our country and the name it had taken over 200 years ago.

History 101 is now over and you may join your regularly scheduled programs. :D

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:52 am

ComputerBob wrote:But notice how quickly your joking evolved into Bruno's flaming attack. That's the only thing in this thread that has offended me.
I guess that Bruno replied to your comment about dictators :-(

Anyway, I was just trying to figure out what is usually seen on local TV... Seriously, I requested for "World Series" because I saw this about that time, and thought it was in context with my "American's" comment...

In all countries comedians attack with fun their own authorities, but I'm not a comedian, and I was not making fun of others... I was just a fool :oops:

But I like to see the 50 stars version of the chilean flag in every picture from Hollywood :-D

Dave: There is a quota of foreign players in local football (soccer) teams, but our annual tournament is still called "National Championship" (in spanish) :-|

Rdsok: Thanks for your History class.

quosego: try http://www.missuniverse.com ;-)

++Vitoco

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:36 am

KY Dave wrote:These series of posts are exactly why we shouldn't get into political debates.

No one really knows what they write about until you have lived in the country or 'walked a mile in their shoes'.

We are ALL like 'mushrooms', kept in the dark and fed shit'.
Man, I agree with you Dave. I avoid 'political' debates on the net, they just explode in seconds... and the quality of the arguments is often horrible...
Support World Animal Protection!

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:05 pm

Wow, 950... but what makes me write these words is that 10000 posts have been reached as the "Who is online" section in main page sais. Well, this post must really be 10247 because 243 have been deleted (?).

++V