Find a document saved on your PC in one second

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Find a document saved on your PC in one second

Post by homaquebec » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:47 am

Copernic, on its web site wrote:Copernic Desktop Search Overview

Copernic Desktop Search is [a free] software that indexes files, emails, images, videos, audios, contacts, favorites and so on saved on your PC and conduct sub-second desktop searches with high relevant results.

It also allows you to search the Web for sites, news, products and so on using predefined categories. It offers direct and integrated desktop and Web search capabilities within the Microsoft Windows operating system. It is bundled with a search deskbar located on the Windows taskbar providing quick and one-entry permanent access to powerful desktop and Web searching.

Copernic Desktop Search is always available with a single click. It offers non-obtrusive, integrated entry-points into your operating system:

Desktop Search Window: Perform searches in an easy-to-use interface, open folders or files directly, and more!

Windows Deskbar: Perform searches from any application, anytime. This search bar conveniently integrates with the Windows taskbar.
More details
Download (choose Free download)

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:37 am

Hi Bruno,

I haven't seen you around in a long time. I'm glad to see you posting again.

I just thought I'd throw out a possible warning about Copernic software. In the past they have put out known spyware. I'm not certain if they had learned their lesson about this or not and with what I've seen other spyware software sites claim, I wouldn't trust what they claim on their website. As an example of what I'm talking about, the popular software Kazaa has always claimed they didn't include spyware but it has been proven over and over that they do.

I would be interested in finding out if the Copernic software you are talking about passes the tests done with Lavasoft Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. Since it has been quite some time since I've seen computers with their software on it, I could easily be just too paranoid. Hopefully they have quit using spyware tactics but I'd hate to see you get infected with it and would feel bad if I didn't at least mention it.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

Rdsok

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:12 am

My dear Rdsok,

I have been using Copernic for years and I never found a spy in a product of this company (from Québec like me :)).

After having installed and lovely used their new application, I made a scan with Ad-Aware : no spy.

Copernic, with this new program, becomes a competitor of Microsoft and Google for this kind of tools, so I do not think they will loose their corporate image with spies and other things that will be bad for their reputation.

But there are so many urban legends that run here and there.

Happy to see that you are always active of the forum.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:28 pm

It's good to hear a positive report about Copernic software. Back when there were reports of spyware with it, it was still getting good reviews for the different functions for the various programs they had made. It was a shame that they had at that time, been including spyware stuff.

To satisfy my curiousity of what programs/versions that were being reported I found that the following had been reported by reliable sources, there were others but I couldn't confirm those reports with a good source. (P.S. all of the reports were of additional software that was installed along with the Copernic software, it was the additional software that was the spyware part.)

Copernic 2000
Copernic 2001
Copernic Desktop

Hopefully they have learned their lesson about including that sort of stuff with their software packages.

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:42 pm

A Google search of "Copernic" and "spyware" reveals that earlier versions of Copernic indeed included spyware.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... ic+spyware

I only did a quick search of a few trusted sites (PCPitStop.com and Wilders.org), and many folks in their forums are using Copernic, but there don't appear to be any current complaints about Copernic containing spyware.

I used Copernic myself many years ago, before there even was such a thing as spyware. However, once a company has lost my trust by including spyware in their software, I choose not to use any of that company's products any more, even if their newer products appear to be clean.

To each his own. Your mileage may vary. This advice is not intended to diagnose or treat any diseases. No animals were harmed in the creation of this advice.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
http://www.computerbob.com
One Of The Largest One-Person Sites On The Web
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun

homaquebec
PopTray Family

CDS contains no spyware or advertising - SearchEngineWatch

Post by homaquebec » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:10 pm

Gary Price, News editor, SearchEngineWatch, wrote: […]
Copernic Desktop Search (CDS) is available now to Windows users free of charge. The full download is very light (just a few megabytes) and contains no spyware or advertising.
[…]
I think the company – Copernic - has done an excellent job. Copernic Desktop Search offers plenty of useful features and options for the experienced searcher.[…]
I'm very impressed with its ease of use and overall effectiveness finding material on my computer quickly and easily.
Full story

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:58 am

Bruno,

I'm not criticizing your choice of sources for your information. It's just that, personally, I've never heard of SearchEngineWatch.com, and I don't know what, if any relationship SearchEngineWatch.com (a marketing Web site) has with the company that publishes Copernic. For all I know, Copernic might even pay for advertisement and marketing on the SearchEngineWatch.com Web site. If so, it wouldn't be the first time that a site has given a glowing "review" to one of their advertisers' pieces of software.

Therefore, I personally do not trust SearchEngineWatch to tell me whether Copernic contains spyware. I know for a fact that, in the past, I've read glowing reviews about other pieces of software that later turned out to contain spyware. For example, Kazaa and reviewers of Kazaa used to claim (do they still claim it?) that Kazaa software didn't contain any spyware, but several PC security sites that I trust insisted (and still insist) that Kazaa contained spyware.

Like I said, none of this is a criticism of your choice of SearchEngineWatch.com as a source for your information. If you personally know that site and trust its information, then that's great. I guess we each have to be responsible enough to do some research and decide which sources we trust. :wink:

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:35 pm

Whether it has spyware or not...
how many searches do users make in a day for items on their computers?

IMO = I don't think this type of indexing software is the way to go for me.

I don't want another application running in the system's tray, using up resources, spinning my hard drive.

I don't utilize the search feature that often, maybe 1 or 2 times every month or two, so it would be useless to keep a application running constantly for my limited search usage.

Searching the web is different, I keep a GOOGLE link on My Links at the top of my browser. One click and I'm ready to search.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

A user gave FIVE stars in a review

Post by homaquebec » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:11 pm

andyw313, in All CNET User Reviews, wrote:"The search tool I've been looking for"

Fantastic tool; I can't believe it's free. It took less than an hour to index my 40gb hard drive, then keeps it updated in the background [when I dont use my computer]. Find emails, docs, photos, and the list goes on. This is something I would even pay for, it's that good. Thank you, Copernic!
Note : andyw313 gave 5 stars for the Features, 5 stars for the Ease of use and 5 stars for the Stability.

Full story

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:00 pm

Re: the user review by Andy313, I hate to keep harping on this, but I don't know who Andy313 is; he's not an employee of CNET, and his review is simply the opinion of one user. Like I've said before, I've read that same type of glowing review about all kinds of spyware and malware in the past, so I am VERY careful to consider the source of ALL reviews that I read, and I'm never convinced by "5 star" ratings given by individual users in public ratings forums, because they can often be "planted" there by the software's creators.

With that said, Copernic probably is a good piece of software, if you need that sort of thing on your computer. :wink:

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:23 pm

Everyone can be mistaken some time
Some people can be mistaken all the time.
Everyone cannot be mistaken all the time.

Adaptation of a citation of an author that I dont remember the name

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:25 pm

I am the guest above but not logged. Sorry.

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:42 pm

Don't use Copernic until you've read this:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=05/ ... d=11260393

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:09 pm

Danny Sullivan, on SearchEngineWatch web site wrote:An important point buried [in a precedent article] in there I should have broken out -- AOL's tool, bundled into its browser, is powered by the Copernic tool [Copernic Desktop Search].
Full story

P.S. It seems that millions of people will soon have the Copernic spies in their PC.
:twisted:

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Copernic Desktop Search ranked #1

Post by homaquebec » Fri May 06, 2005 3:30 pm

Marc Orchant, on theofficeweblog, wrote:[/b]Copernic Desktop Search [made in Québec] was selected as the best overall desktop search tool this week in a benchmark study conducted by the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s E-Business Consortium. The independent study tested vendors on usability, versatility, accuracy, efficiency, security, and enterprise readiness and was not funded or supported by individual desktop search companies or other organizations.

All the details

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun May 08, 2005 5:56 am

I know people that use Kazaa still knowing it has spyware in it, I still refuse to use it or other programs like it.

I don't care to promote companies or their products that resell what I consider private information even if it doesn't containg user indentifyable information or not. The only way to stop this invasion of privacy is to not use this type of program even if it is a good product in other areas.

Just like the subject of spam, if we don't buy it from the spammers, they can't afford to due business. Ad supported software is understandable, such as Opera and many others, but when it comes to collecting private information like spyware does even if is just browsing habits etc, we must make a stand if we are going to stop it.

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Sun May 08, 2005 6:08 am

Why exhume this dead thread after 4 months of no activity? By now, everyone has already made up their minds about whether they want to use Copernic or not. We don't really need someone to continue posting everything that ever gets published about Copernic.

This thread has both a living will and a Do Not Resuscitate order -- please respect them and let this thread die with dignity. ;)

deadown
First Timer

Post by deadown » Thu May 26, 2005 6:51 am

yep yep that it.