M$ AntiSpyware Beta (free)

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

KY Dave
Not the Developer

M$ AntiSpyware Beta (free)

Post by KY Dave » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:40 pm

Here is the link to the download page.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx

I have d/l'ed the program and installed. It is quite a bit better than most of the spyware programs I have been using. It found things AdAware and Spybot did not find.

I submitted to a scan to see if my Windows was legal, I'm not sure if users linking above will have to do that or not.
The options are;
Yes, please validate Windows and take me to the download. (If an ActiveX dialog box appears, please click Yes.)

No, do not validate Windows at this time, but take me to the download.
Some users may also be concerned that it will contact M$'s Spyware Network, but this is configurable.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:10 am

When try to validate my Windows I get the following error:
---------------------------
Windows Genuine Advantage
---------------------------
Code not available. The validation code could not be obtained. This may be due to technical difficulties, or you may be running an unsupported operating system. Please close this window and attempt the validation process again, or use the Back button in your Web browser to return to the download details page. [Error code: 0x8004026b]
You don't have to validate to download though. You can skip it.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am

I was able to validate without trouble.. maybe a security setting on your system Reneir?

The programs looks good so far, first scan found 3 other items, one was a Remote control program I installed (Tight VNC) and two old leftover spyware registry entries thats probably had been there forever (I clean my system all the time).

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:11 am

My scan found TightVNC (which I use) and Timbuktu (don't know where this came from).

[edit]Seems the Windows Validation works in IE, but in FireFox it failed[/edit]

NO CARRIER
Fanatic

Post by NO CARRIER » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:23 pm

(the month is january, sure)

They are nice as usual... :lol:

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:57 am

No Carrier,
Microsoft told that beta will expire in 31th July 2005, and *maybe* it will be a purchased product.

I'm using Giant Antispyware (which was bought by Microsoft) since some months: also if it was a commercial product, it was a lot better that SpyBot S&D, Lavasoft AdAware... This is my own experience.

Renier,
TightVNC is obviously a product good, but it is possible to use it as a bad one if the user doesn't now it.

KY Dave,
the community system works in order to learn the software if a potential spyware is very bad, bad, quite good, surely good. No personal data is sent to the community.

NO CARRIER
Fanatic

Post by NO CARRIER » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:44 pm

ilNebbioso, HAS expired, dear, has. :lol:
My clock shows 7th of january 2005. Nevermind, I set english locale and everything went without any addictional warnings. After the scan I choose to delete only some cookies, unmarking TightVNC, which I use too, and Flashget whish is also suspicious. :twisted: When I reboot the PC, I wasn't to able to connect to VNC and I was very happy to find that the service and the main program aren't in their usual places. :D

Cheers,
Koko

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:36 am

Renier wrote:My scan found TightVNC (which I use) and Timbuktu (don't know where this came from).

[edit]Seems the Windows Validation works in IE, but in FireFox it failed[/edit]
TightVNC ... it is ridicolous that this is identified as 'spyware' or even as dangerous. It is just remote control software I installed myself, harmless but they made me think HMMM because some freeware utils (like Big Brother) had backdoors that gave intruders access to your system. I wondered if TightVNC was not such a heroic product, after all. But is is.

This program should not display TightVNC in the results list! Sure, somebody could install TightVNC as a server that does not require a password, but it still is not spyware.
Support World Animal Protection!

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:39 am

Curtz,

I don't believe that MS Antispyware calls TightVNC as spyware but just a possible avenue of having you system taken over. At least that is how I understood its warning which I did take the time to read.

There are a lot of software like key loggers and others that parents or companies use for the purpose that they are intended. I would still like to see these noted in a scan so that I could be aware they are there so I would know someone couldn't slip one of these in on me without me knowing it.

I use TightVNC quite often, but I also like that it had listed it just so I would know about it.

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:29 am

You're right, the help and documentation in MS AS is outstanding, but they should make it very clear, visually somehow, that this is not a threat as such, but could be a problem under certain circumstances.

A novice - and many novices will use this program now that MS bought it - will probably act fast and think later when they see programs like tightvnc in the list... I almost did...
Support World Animal Protection!

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:21 pm

ThightVNC and RealVNC are marked as spyware with a "Moderate threat". I agree with you that they are NOT spyware by themself, but...

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:01 pm

Curtz wrote:A novice - and many novices will use this program now that MS bought it - will probably act fast and think later when they see programs like tightvnc in the list... I almost did...
I agree with those who say that novices would not even know what TightVNC is, and so they certainly would not intentionally have it on their PCs, so it is good that the MS AS warns them about it, while PC users who know, understand, and use TightVNC would know that TightVNC is not a danger to their PCs and so would not be misled when MS AS warns them about it.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
http://www.computerbob.com
One Of The Largest One-Person Sites On The Web
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun