PopTray REPLACEMENT! :)

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Curtz
Priceless

PopTray REPLACEMENT! :)

Post by Curtz » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:43 am

Don't worry, PopTray is still the best... on Windows that is! Lately I have been playing a little with Ubuntu Linux and I find myself spending more and more time using my Linux box. However, something is missing! My favorite POP3 checker!

I have tried a few mail checkers this week, but they offered few of the features from PopTray.

Can anyone here recommend a pop3 checker for Linux - one that works like PopTray with some of the same features?

(Ubuntu is more or less Debian + Gnome!)

TIA!
Support World Animal Protection!

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."

mpot
Fanatic

Re: PopTray REPLACEMENT! :)

Post by mpot » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:47 am

You could always try porting PopTray to linux using Kylix

Cheers,
Martin.

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:55 am

Yeah, but I am not a programmer myself. :mrgreen:

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:49 am

Have you tried to get Poptray itself to run in Linux.... Wine, a Windows emulation software, allows many Windows programs to run. I can't remember if I tried to setup Poptray when I played with it but I do know that Eudora and The Bat! email clients will work this way.

To learn more about Wine goto http://www.winehq.com/

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:47 am

Thanks. I will probably give it a try, going to need Wine anyway for running a few Windows apps I will need now and then.

WOteB
First Timer

Post by WOteB » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:02 pm

Poptray does perfectly work running under Linux, using wine. I also use Ubuntu (5.04) and have no problems. Only one thing: Your Linux e-mail clients doesn't work. Perhaps there come a Linux version of Poptray..?

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:50 am

But still no suggestions for a nice notificer designed for Gnome? One that is slightly similar to PopTray?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:36 pm

Curtz wrote:But still no suggestions for a nice notificer designed for Gnome? One that is slightly similar to PopTray?
It is hard to tell what would be like PopTray when I don't run any Linux machines. That could also be the reason you haven't received any replies, most of the users here would be running Windows.

But below is a link to some email notifiers that run on Linux...
http://linux.softpedia.com/progSearch/M ... tification
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:19 am

Thanks for the link :)

I will check it out; I tried a lot of Linux mail checkers out the last few months and they sucked. They were so bad that I really still believe that I only tried poor alpha software, and still cant find the good ones.