Mozilla's browsers global usage share is still growing

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:30 am

NASA has reportedly given up on Internet Explorer and has made Firefox its standard browser.

http://blog.tcg.com/tcg/2005/12/nasa_ditches_ie.html
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
http://www.computerbob.com
One Of The Largest One-Person Sites On The Web
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:32 am

Just one section of an interesting web site.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:38 am

KY Dave wrote:Image
Just one section of an interesting web site.
I think we all know where you stand re: Firefox. I'm very curious to see if, when the next version of Microsoft Internet Explorer comes out, you will feel as great a need to repeatedly post anti-Internet Explorer messages in that thread. :roll:

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am

Wow, you must be worried about this thread, did you have a WARNING BUZZER set to go off if someone posted in this thread?
In less than 6 minutes of my posting, you had your comeback posted. Maybe it was a coincidence :roll:
ComputerBob wrote:I think we all know where you stand re: Firefox. I'm very curious to see if, when the next version of Microsoft Internet Explorer comes out, you will feel as great a need to repeatedly post anti-Internet Explorer messages in that thread. :roll:
Anyway, it isn't even my opinion, it's some one else's opinion, Bob. :wink:
And they seem quite knowledgable according to the info on their web site concerning Windows.

But even if it was my opinion...
we're all allowed to have one...
ComputerBob wrote:NASA has reportedly given up on Internet Explorer and has made Firefox its standard browser.
or it might just be a counter measure to your postings. :P
KY Dave

Family Blog

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:50 am

I use IE, FF and Opera... and really I like all three for different reasons. One thing I do not like is the PR BS that each company has done. Quite frankly... there is no safe browser... they each have their own weakness's and which browser is faster will depend on what type of web pages you are talking about, currently Opera is the overall fastest (of these 3 ) but has it issues in the webpage viewing areas. Compatibility of the browsers to properly view a website is going to go to IE right now, but only because web developers develop for IE more right now... which probably doesn't really count like the W3C compatibility would. For the W3C issues, we finally have real measurable stats to work with and FF is in front with IE trailing in the rear.

Let's face it... each company has its own "agenda" and we can only trust their PR only as far as it fits that "agenda". Currently, I will probably defend IE in face of the popular trend to build up FF with statements that don't tell the whole story about it over IE... that isn't because I like IE more than FF, its because I hate statements that aren't supported by the complete facts that take into account the real world, not just selected ones that just support the "image" they are trying to portray.

If you are needing to choose one browser that you are going to use as your primary browser... choose the one that fits your needs the best. Then take the additional needed steps to safe guard yourself againsts threats that may be used against it. The future will hold some interesting things in the browsers, IE 7 will be released before much longer and it will be interesting as to what it will have. This won't take FF or Opera out of the picture because they will also release new versions. Hmmm.... I think I'll use them all... :)

Oh... for safety... if thats your concern. Use something to "sandbox" your browser in so it can't affect your main OS ... VMware has some cool products as well as QEMU and the many other virtual machines that are available. If these get infected... replace them with your backup (you do make backups don't you ) and you are up and running again.

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:46 am

KY Dave wrote:Wow, you must be worried about this thread, did you have a WARNING BUZZER set to go off if someone posted in this thread?
In less than 6 minutes of my posting, you had your comeback posted. Maybe it was a coincidence :roll:
You're pretty funny, Dave -- making fun of me for being online when I received an email from these forums, notifying me that a reply had been posted.

Anyone who reads this and other threads can see that you've posted negative comments about Firefox every time anyone else has posted anything positive about Firefox, because, as you've admitted, you somehow feel the need to do that. The end result is that what began as a thread about how Firefox has gained market share, and people giving examples of that, has turned into you trying to convince people not to use Firefox. And you posted FUD earlier in this thread. And you insensitively characterized anyone who doesn't agree with you as being uninformed. All in all, you've been extremely intolerant and dismissive of other people's opinions.

The truth is, there are many "experts" who praise Firefox, just as there are many "experts" who praise IE, because intelligent, informed people often have different opinions. If IE fills your needs better than Firefox, then that's great, and you're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean that everyone who prefers to use Firefox is wrong or uninformed or naively believing every piece of Firefox marketing hogwash.

You help a lot of people with PopTray by posting a lot of good tips and advice in these PopTray forums, and that's great and very much appreciated, but your Firefox-bashing is on the same level as other people's Microsoft-bashing or Internet Explorer-bashing, and none of those types of bashing serves the rest of us very well. To each his own. Live and let live. Browse and be happy. :wink:

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:56 pm

Bob,

You have stated what 'you think' my opinion is, but you are wrong again. Now I'll tell you what my opinion is...

[IMO]
I think it's great that Mozilla has developed Firefox, because there needs to be competition to M$.
Competition causes development to move along quicker.

But, I don't think it's great for users to switch because they believe Firefox gives them greater security, when they maybe the victims of FUD about IE from the developers of Firefox.
[/IMO]

I stated in the first page of this thread, that I wasn't defending IE, and I'm not. I also stated earlier in this thread, I don't use IE. Why you continue to assume that, I don't know.

Once again...
I simply want users to be informed.

There are plenty of articles about the vulnerabilities of IE, but there is a PR campaign to get users to believe Firefox doesn't have those problems, that it is a 'safe browser'. I point to articles to show there are problems with Firefox, not because I like IE or dislike Firefox, but so users will be informed. Users should make informed decisions, not simply go with a 'trendy' new application and then let down their defenses. This is also stated in Rdsok's posting above.

Please don't try to characterize my postings as an emotional tie to a browser or against one. It's not. When I make a counter point to a posting, I'm just looking at the other side of things.
KY Dave

Family Blog