Any suggestions for a tabbed browser?

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

quosego
Guru

Any suggestions for a tabbed browser?

Post by quosego » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:12 am

I would like tabs in IE, preferably as a simple add-on.
Apart from the need for tabs, the standard IE is good enough i think. Itried some freeware browsers and browser-addons to achieve this.

But most of them where too complex OR could not handle the google bar which i see as a standard enhancement for IE.

Ideas ??

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:26 am

I'm using NetCaptor. Not freeware, but shareware. It also does stuff like ad blocking and popup blocking. I don't know about the google bar since I just use the "g <searchword>" syntax.

shinca
Still here

Post by shinca » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:38 am

Nice tabbed browser is Mozilla Firebird - http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebir ... notes.html, previously known as Phoenix... No google bar I think, but next to Address bar there is search field, which supports Google search.

LegoBas
Expert

IE Extension Browsers

Post by LegoBas » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:09 pm

There are a lot freeware Browsers out there with a tab interface which in fact use the IE webcontrol.

Personally I use AvantBrowser which is very stable (it can use the Google toolbar) and has some nice features.

Here are the ones I tried, all of them have a tabs interface:

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:31 pm

I'm giving Avant Browser a go now. Looks very similar to NetCaptor, but might even have a few extra features.

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:29 pm

I can recommend Firebird as well. Although it's still in beta stadium, it's a pretty quick standard browser with no frills but loads of downloadable extensions and themes - if you like that.

Googlebar is - AFAIK - available as extension as well.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:56 pm

If you are also using your browser as a popup blocker, I just came across this site which is good for testing: http://www.popuptest.com/

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:45 pm

Very useful, that popup checker !

In my search for a tabbed browser i found out that most of those browsers also provide a blocking function for popups.

The browser i tested a couple of days ago (avantbrowser) has also such a function.
The statement "trust, but verify" is one yhat i like very much, and therefore i prefer a blocker that gives some info about what is blocked. I could not find this in avant so my search goes on.

Btw the latest version of the google bar can also block popups (whithout blocking history information)

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:55 pm

It seems that Firebird is the browser you are looking for :D

Build in popup blocking (configureable), tabbed browsing, new betas almost daily, optimised versions for P2/P3/P4 and Athlon CPUs... give it a shot! The latest milestone you'll find at the address posted above by shinca, for the latest betas take a look at http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/index.php?c=4

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:46 am

Firebird looks very promising - I still use IE, always loads quicker.

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Please keep in mind that this browser is still in the middle of beta testing, contains bugs and is not code optimised. Concerning the quicker loading times, maybe you can try an optimised build. At the moment I'm running an Athlon configured version on my PC and this version beats IE in almost all disciplines - not to mention the security aspect :P

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:06 am

The only problem I have with using a Mozilla based browser is that not all developers take Mozilla or standards into account. If it works in IE, then they assume it works. Therefore some sites will just not look/work correctly in Mozilla/Opera.

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:38 pm

Unfortunately, Renier, you are right. IE does set the standards althought these are not the proper ones officially defined. But up to now, I encountered only a few sites that are not displayed properly (actually one, at the moment, I'm still testing) in Firebird and if it the page is that important... well... IE is always there :)

LegoBas
Expert

Post by LegoBas » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:55 pm

Anyway, Microsoft has stopped the development of Internet Explorer AND Outlook Express.

It seems they think to have won the Browser war...

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:45 pm

AFAIK, only Outlook Express will be canceled. Bad enough since I really like that program.

Anyways, on the other hand if MS really should believe that they won the war, the are even more lightyears behind than I thought. IE is for quite a long time already, IMO, behind the state of the art. Unfortunately too many people take the easy way and keep IE although there are so many excellent alternatives.

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:26 pm

IE 7 will be part of the next version of Windows, not XP and win 2000 etc.... at least that is what I think I read somewhere :)

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:14 am

Just read in the news that a spokesman of MS said that also the maintenance and develpment of OE will continue - BUT the focus in future will lie on Hotmail and MSN services.

Actually I'm quite keen on what IE 7 will look like. Anybody already an idea?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:36 am

The stories that I read were that M$ would no longer make a 'stand alone' version of IE. The only way you would get it would be to purchase a complete OS.
On the Windows side, Microsoft has said that it will stop development of standalone versions of Internet Explorer, instead evolving the browser as part of future updates to the Windows OS.
Read article
There has been some commotion on the Internet regarding comments made by Microsoft's Brian Countryman, Program Manager in Internet Explorer in a chat posted on the Microsoft TechNet Web site.

When asked about the next version of Internet Explorer, Brian said: "As part of the OS, IE will continue to evolve, but there will be no future standalone installations. IE6 SP1 is the final standalone installation."

Asked why there wouldn't be a further standalone version, he said: "Legacy OSes have reached their zenith with the addition of IE 6 SP1. Further improvements to IE will require enhancements to the underlying OS."

This last part is stretching to say the least. There could be quite a number of enhancements made to Internet Explorer which do not require changes to the underlying OS, but since Microsoft managed to win the "browser war" with Netscape, there's no competition to keep it on its (development) toes... sad.
Read article
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:50 pm

I did (re)install the avantbrowser.
It is a relatively small program that apart from tabs and tabnavigation doesn't change anything to the IE userinterface.

I decided not to have the popup blocker enabled but to let popups be opened in the background. So they do not mess up the pages you want to read and it is easy to close them manually in the tab bar.

Especially the funtions for the middle mouse button (open link in new window, close a window in the tab bar) are great!

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:43 pm

KY Dave wrote:The stories that I read were that M$ would no longer make a 'stand alone' version of IE. The only way you would get it would be to purchase a complete OS.
Exactly! 8)