PopTray ScreenSaver plug-in

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Renier
Site Admin

PopTray ScreenSaver plug-in

Post by Renier » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:22 am

I've created a new experimental (beta) ScreenSaver plug-in for PopTray.

This actually works in two parts. The first part is the plugin which installs to the PopTray plugin directory and you can enable this from the plugins section in options. This plugin would then write your mail counts to an ini file in your windows directory (PopTraySS.ini).

The second part is the actually screen saver which is installed in your windows system directory. You can enable it by selecting the "PopTray Screen Saver" from the windows screensavers screen. This screen saver would then read the mail counts from the ini file and display the number of unviewed messages in bouncing circles on the screen.

This is still a bit of a rough draft though. It needs a lot of optimizing and of course testing on different computers.

I also had to update the PopTray plugin interface to supply more info for the screensaver. If you run this plugin with an older version of PopTray [older than PopTray 3.1 (beta 7)], then it would only show the total amount of messages, instead of the messages in each account.

I am hoping that putting this plugin out there with the source included, that some developer might take this source and build more on it.

The plug-in is available from the plug-ins page
Last edited by Renier on Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gerapa
Enthusiast

Post by Gerapa » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:51 pm

Hi Renier, hi all,

Wow, very very nice and impressive job. Thank you very much. It seems to work perfectly here, on my PII 350 mHz - Windows XP home SP2.

Note for other users : even after having installed Poptray 3.1 beta 7, i had to reboot the computer before being able to see the count of my different accounts in several clored circles.

Gerapa.

Ps : Renier, some suggestion, but just in the case you have too much freetime ;-) because it's not really important : the ability to choose the size and speed of the balls would be nice (but thank you for the job already done, it's wonderful).

wado
Still here

Great!

Post by wado » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:39 pm

Great! That was exacly what the program need to be The Best of the Best.
I suggest that when there is no message the screen is not all black but with an elegant text in gray like "PopTray Screensaver" by Renier Crause, by example.

After add more possibility but for the moment...Bravo!

Mario

Screen Saver Plug-In

Post by Mario » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:28 pm

I only get a black screen when my screensaver starts. I have written some test mails but nothing was displayed.
Does anybody know what the problem could be?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:37 pm

Since this is a very new option, I'm going to state what I think PopTray is doing, this could be a little incorrect but this is what I've seen.

It appears that if you view the main mail window with the listed emails in it, PopTray won't display a mail count on the screensaver. If on the otherhand, you haven't viewed the list or you get a new email while the screensaver is active, then you will see a mail count in a colored circle with the account that it was found on in the screensaver.

Basically to test this, minimize PopTray, send yourself a test email, wait for PopTray's next email check and wait for the screensaver to start to see the notification. If you wish, you can push the Preview button from Windows Screensaver option screen to hurry this along.

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:07 pm

Now it works! Thank you very much!

Bamboe

Post by Bamboe » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:01 pm

It doesn't work because Keyboard Lights is running on the same time.
Renier can you fix that when the screen saver is running the keyboard lights are off?

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:45 am

When attempting to download the source from the plugins page, I get the following error:
Could not read file.
Go back. /home/ftp/pub/sourceforge//p/po/poptray/PopTrayScreenSaver_Source_beta1.zip
Does anyone have a working link to the source for this plugin? I'm interested in adding PopTray mail support to the Uptime ScreenSaver.

Cheers,
Martin.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:59 am

If the link from the Plug-Ins download page is down go to the PopTray SourceForge pages and download it from there. It contains several mirrors to select from so if one won't work another will.

From the main Poptray website select the SourceForge link, then from that page select the Files link and scroll down until you find the file you want to download. This page has all of the released, beta and plugins that have been released since PopTray version 2.1 so you will need to scroll quite a ways to find this one file.

mpot
Fanatic

Post by mpot » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:56 am

Rdsok wrote:If the link from the Plug-Ins download page is down go to the PopTray SourceForge pages and download it from there.
Got it....thanks.

Cheers,
Martin.