Messenger Style Pop-up Notification plug-in

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

jskinner
Groupie

Messenger Style Pop-up Notification plug-in

Post by jskinner » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:05 pm

I have created an MSN messenger style pop-up notification plug-in. Its a bit rough right now but should be enough to get some initial feed back. It has problems with the display of the pop-up due to a bug in PopTray calling the plug-in too many times. I have worked around this the best I can but its still not that good.

You can download the plug-in from: http://james.istop.com/PopTray/MessengerPopup//

Simply copy that file into your PopTray plugins directory and enable it from the Options->Plug-ins dialog

Cheers, -James
Last edited by jskinner on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:54 pm

Code: Select all

Failed to start because MFC42D.DLL was not found. RE-installing the application may fix the problem.
Each time I click on PopTray OPTION, PLUGIN, with you plugin in the PLUGIN directory, that is the error I receive. After deleting your plugin from the PLUGIN directory, no more errors.

QUITING PopTray and RESTARTING doesn't help either.

I'm using WIN XP PRO SP2 with all updates.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

jskinner
Groupie

Missing MFC DLLs

Post by jskinner » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:19 pm

I didn't include the MFC Dlls becase I havn't written an installer for the plug-in yet and I figured most people's machines would have them already installed.

For now I have relinked the application so that it includes the necessary MFC code. Give it another try.

Cheers, -james

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:31 pm

The plugin does function, but with several application errors.

The instructions as "0x1000d8b5" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be read.

Click OK to terminate the program.
The above happens when trying to close PopTray.

Access violation at address 1000F2EA in module 'NotifyMessengerPopup.dll'. Read of address 00000000.
The above happens when trying to minimize PopTray.

It keeps happening everytime I click on another window, such as my browser window until I close PopTray.

I'm removing for a while, until a more stable version appears.
KY Dave

Family Blog

jskinner
Groupie

One more time - Version 0.2 of Messenger popup plugin

Post by jskinner » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:15 pm

I think I need some coffee :-)

Ok I'll try one more time for today and then I'm taking a break :-) As it turns out the static release libraries are not as forgiving as the dynamic debug ones that I was testing with.

I have switched back to dynamic loading of the MFC dlls but this time I have bound to the non debug version. I'm hopeing that this will mean most people will have them on their PC

Anyway I have uplaoded Version 0.2 to my server. Give it more more try. Again its not perfect yet but should be better than that last version :-)

Cheers, -James

jskinner
Groupie

Post by jskinner » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:20 pm

PS I forgot to thank you for all your alpha testing efforts. Clearly I released it too early but I just started writing it last night and wanted to get some feedback. Hopefully it will soon be in a semi usable state.

Thanks, -James

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:48 pm

OK, that's getting better.

I still got one error, "Division by zero" when I first checked email with PopTray after enabling your notifier.

After that it functioned, not correctly, but it functioned without any error messages.

I am probably noticing the problems you were describing to Renier.

If I click to show PopTray's window the notifier pops up.

If I change from one account tab to another account tab the notifier pops up.

I would also say, it slows down PopTray's response when changing from one account tab to another.
KY Dave

Family Blog

jskinner
Groupie

Finally :-)

Post by jskinner » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:26 pm

Phew, thats good news. I was starting to get really embarrassed about the quality of my work ...

As for the 'Divide by Zero' error, I have seen it once as well. I have not been able to reproduce it yet but I have the executable running and debugger attached to the process just waiting for it to happen so I can try to track it down. :-) If you figure out how to reproduce it on deman let me know.

As for the other behaviors, yes its caused by the way that the current notification framework is implemented. I hope this can be improved in the future by Renier.

The pop-up dialog would be a lot more smooth if I wasn't receiving 3 calls instead of one on email check. If we can get that fixed the animation will be _much_ better and quicker.

Cheers, -James