Auto Delete from server?

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Heffy
Still here

Auto Delete from server?

Post by Heffy » Sat May 01, 2004 4:01 pm

I have two mail accounts, only one account gets Spam. On the account that does get the Spam what would be the best or simplest way to have all Spam 'Automatically Deleted' from the server? It's a pain to select the Spam and then delete it.

(1) I have been thinking of just having all who are not in my 'Whitelist' deleted, but need to know how to make a filter for that.
(would putting a *@* in the 'Blacklist Box' work?)
(2) Would I use the 'K9' with 'PopTray' to do this?

My email program is 'Outlook Express' and before I started to use 'PopTray' I used a 'Whitelist' and all senders of mail not in my list were sent to a 'Quarantine' folder, but then I had to review those emails for Spam...99% of them were.

If I did have to give my email addres for those times when I buy something and they need to send me an email I can turn off the filter untill I get their email, add them to my 'Whitelist', then turn on the filter again.

Heffy

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat May 01, 2004 6:53 pm

I don't know that there is one best way. Everybody has different needs. Here are a couple thoughts on it and maybe one will fit you best.

1. Using K9 or a similar program is probably the simplest. Over time you 'teach' K9 what you call spam by marking and unmarking the various emails, it automatically will create a set of 'rules' that it will use to determine what it marks as spam or not. This will take some time depending on the volume of mail you recieve. It also has a whitelist and blacklist if you want to use them.

2. Use the rules that you can define and are available to you within PopTray. This method 'you' control exactly what you define as spam or not. This takes a bit more time to create but gives you the advantage of directly controlling what is marked. The public release has a nice set of rules to start with, but the current beta version 3.1 b5 also includes the use of what is called regular expressions (ie Reg Expr) that give your rules more flexibility.

Both methods are able to have false positives, so you certainly want to keep your whitelist up to date either way to restrict them. Currently there isn't a 100% accurate method, so it is really up to you to try each and see which best fits you. You may even want to consider using both. I also suggest that until you have fully tested either method that you don't automatically delete the messages. It's very hard if not impossible to retrieve one that you have deleted from the server.

I'd also suggest if you haven't already, do a search of this and other forums on these subjects. There are a lot of good opinions and ideas out there that you should consider.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Sat May 01, 2004 7:36 pm

Personnaly, I tried writing rules in PopTray and I also used the White List and the Black List. But, results were very desappointing.

So, six weeks ago, I installed K9 to detect the spam. After some weeks, the level of overall accuracy is over 98%. During those weeks, I kept watching to write the email addresses of senders of good emails in both white lists of Poptray and K9. For weeks, I manually deleted, in PopTray, emails identified as spam.

This morning, I went a step ahead, I changed the rule in PopTray to have spam automatically deleted.

If you need some help on how to set up PopTray and K9 to work together, I'll be happy to answer you.

Post by Guest » Sat May 01, 2004 8:15 pm

I completetely agree with homaquebec that usually the best way is to use a program like K9 to identify spam with. After a training period is completed, it can be very accurate. I, unfortunately, can not afford any false positives and therefore can't automatically delete most messages without first making sure they aren't from a potential new client that hasn't made it to my whitelist so I sort my 'spam' into a folder with my email program for review. I however am able to auto delete from a blacklist (which isn't the most effiecient way) or through a few rules that I've verified as not creating any false positives for me. My father, on the other hand, can almost strictly use a whitelist and delete everything else.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat May 01, 2004 8:18 pm

The previous post was mine, forgot to login again.. must be my age catching up to me. :lol:

GaryGo
Enthusiast

Post by GaryGo » Sun May 02, 2004 3:12 am

Rdsok wrote:I, unfortunately, can not afford any false positives
One of my biggest goals was to have PopTray delete infected mail before it gets to my (and my kids') inboxes. We use a virus scanner and it catches all the infected mail, but I still want it deleted before the virus scanner sees it.

I am achieving this with a few PopTray rules, but the primary rule is one that deletes all email (except whitelisted) with a header that contains "multipart/mixed", which covers most attachments that contain viruses. This is a problem when a family member joins an email group and doesn't tell me to add the address to the whitelist, so I have to check the PopTray log every day.

So I too have to put a lot of effort into catching spam without false positives.

Gary

Heffy
Still here

Post by Heffy » Sun May 02, 2004 3:19 am

I set up 'K9' and added a filter in 'PopTray' to delete from server mail that has [Spam] in the subject line.

I have noticed one problem I now have since doing this.

Problem:
When I'm in 'PopTray' and select an email, then click 'Preview' I get an error everytime.

Error:
Unable to Retrieve message.
Read Timeout

How do I fix this?

Heffy

Heffy
Still here

Fixed Error!

Post by Heffy » Sun May 02, 2004 4:35 am

I installed PopTray310_beta5.exe and errors stopped.

Now I'll see how all this goes as far as removing Spam from the server without me having to check it all.

Heffy

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun May 02, 2004 5:18 am

I use K9 and I recommend while you are 'training' K9 that you have your rule in PopTray set to MARK AS SPAM instead of DELETE FROM SERVER.

After a couple of weeks, then change your rule to DELETE FROM SERVER. K9 will retain a copy of the emails that passes thru it. The default setting is around 2000 emails I believe. So if there is one that you miss and it gets DELETED, simply open K9 and look in the STORAGE area and it will be in there for a while.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Heffy
Still here

Post by Heffy » Sun May 02, 2004 5:37 am

Thanks for the advice Dave. I made the change. I very seldom get any valid emails from this account that gets the spam, could be a couple per day with around 30 Spams.

After making the change the some things I don't understand. Now I see the Spam marked in the 'PopTray' window, but it doesn't show in the K9 'Recent Emails' window. Also when I check mail with 'Outlook Express' the Spam is not downloaded.

Heffy

dsfagdfsg

Post by dsfagdfsg » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:46 am

ycxvxcvyxc

freeware-checker

Post by freeware-checker » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:54 am

To homaquebec
If you need some help on how to set up PopTray and K9 to work together, I'll be happy to answer you.
Could you give a complete description how to set them up together?

Is there a possibility to use them both within Outlook Express? I mean to click on the "send and receive"-button and first mark messages with a "[Spam]"-flag with K9 and afterwards automatically let them delete from PopTray?

a61
First Timer

Post by a61 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:02 pm

I followed the instructions on this site http://www.heffy.com/ and my mail is now pretty pure.

a61