Access violation

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Cybernoid
First Timer

Access violation

Post by Cybernoid » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:09 am

I get an error "Access violation at address 004A3475 in module "PopTray.exe". Read of address 015E8000" every time I try to check one of my main e-mail boxes. The others work fine.

What's the problem? The previous version worked fine.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:57 pm

This "bug-message" has been reported in this thread. I have the feeling that it could le related to the new feature "Open".

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:44 pm

I got this error message this morning the first time PopTray checked the mail :

The only way to manage my mail is ckecking it with K9 and then download it by launching my email client.

So, I definetely came back to the version 3.2 (beta 1). Just too bad that it will not be possible to "Open message". :twisted:

I do not think (for my problem) that as Muuhle wrote, it is related to the number and the larger of messages in the mailbox, but maybe to the kind of messages (HTML ones maybe with links) as Vitoco wrote.
Last edited by homaquebec on Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TJF
Evolving

Post by TJF » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:45 pm

I get the same access violation :-) W2K

Regards
Thomas

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:38 pm

Are you guys all using standard POP3, or some plugin?

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:48 pm

Renier wrote:Are you guys all using standard POP3, or some plugin?
For one account, I use standard POP3; for an other one, I use the Hotmail plugin.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:14 am

Today (Nov 1st, 2005), I uninstalled the PopTray Hotmail plugin and came back to the version 3.2 (beta 2) of Poptray. I'll see in the coming days if I still get the Access violation message .

TJF
Evolving

Post by TJF » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:31 am

I use standard pop3 without plugins.

Regards
Thomas

homaquebec
PopTray Family

No error message and a lot of speed

Post by homaquebec » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:42 pm

I have been running PopTray 3.2 (beta 2) without the PopTray Hotmail plugin for more than two days and I did not receive the Access violation error message.

On an other machine, PopTray 3.2 (beta 2) with the PopTray Hotmail plugin is used just to check the mail of a Hotmail account. The error message has never occured.

Without the PopTray Hotmail plugin, I can see, as KY Dave wrote somewhere, that this version of PopTray works faster than precedent ones.

Gonzo
Still here

Post by Gonzo » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:31 pm

Same issue here. I have three pop accounts that I check, I am not using any plug-ins. This morning one account is doing it with each check. There are 23 messages in that mailbox. The other accounts have only a few email in the mail box and I am not getting any access violation errors when I check them.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:15 pm

I just received the error message Access violation. A few minutes before, I had added the button OPEN.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:08 pm

I got the Access violation message this morning. As Gonzo wrote, it could be related to the number of messages in the mailbox that PopTray checks. In the first one, there was about a dozen. With K9, I deleted eight of them. I rechecked the account: PopTray worked fine. :cry:

freewareguide
Evolving

Post by freewareguide » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:01 pm

Hello,

I also retrieved this error several times, today I tried to isolate the message causing this. I removed mail by mail using MagicMailMonitor, till PopTray worked again without violation (always had to be restarted). This mail was no spam, no offending characters I see, it was a personal message, I got six other messages from this sender in the same turn with no problem. I saved the mail as source code. Renier, I can mail it to you, if you wish (as I said, it's not spam, so I don't wanna publish here).

I don't think, the number of messages is the key, I had this in serveral situations and sometimes I really got tons of mail (up to 1500, now I reconfigured my account, but still 100-200 spam per day).

Regards,
Thorsten

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:46 am

If that message will re-create the problem, then yes, please zip it up (to make sure it doesn't change) and email it to me.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I haven't seen this error once.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Guilty

Post by homaquebec » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:11 pm

• Guilty
After having received an Access violation message error on my main computer, with K9 I checked the account having this message and deleted messages one by one making a checking of the account with PopTray after each erase till I did not receive the error message. I also copied each deleted message.

On an other machine where PopTray is used with PopTray Hotmail plug-in, I thought I had the same message. I had. On this machine, PopTray displayed the information in the mail window even if the subject of the message was not well written (letters were mixed with codes).

I copied the content of the subject of "the presumed guilty message" as seen with K9 and used it to send me an email at my ISP account from the computer where PopTray is used with PopTray Hotmail plug-in. I received an Access violation message error when PopTray, on my main computer, checked the account.

Here is the content of the subject of this message when sent:

Relevez le =?ISO-8859-1?Q?d=E9fi?= avant le 14 novembre
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=E0_16_h_!?=

K9, IncrediMail and Microsoft Outlook can "read" and "display" correctly the content of the subject of this message but PopTray cannot; it considers as being violated! Here is the subject as it should display:

Relevez le défi avant le 14 novembre à 16 h !

Renier (and other PopTray PhD), what do you think of that?

Alea jacta est

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:54 am

I'll see if I can recreate it.

ujr
Still here

Post by ujr » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:41 pm

Hi,

I came here to report the very same bug.
After having identified which message caused the problem I was able to test on a mail server which line in the mail is responsible.
In my case, at least, it is the subject line:
Subject: Festplatte =?ISO-8859-15?Q?l=F6schen?=
As soon as I remove the encoding information and make it
Subject: Festplatte loeschen
(i.e. substitute the umlaut by 'oe') everything goes well again.

I'm using PopTray 3.2 Beta 2 without any plugin. On another computer with stable 3.1 the problem does not occur.

HTH,
Ulf

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:35 pm

I have just received a message which subject was :

=?iso-8859-1?Q?CAA-Qu=E9bec?= pour =?iso-8859-1?Q?No=EBl?=

and PopTray did not pop-up the Access violation error message even if the content of the subject was not displayed correctly. So, it seems that if there is nothing before =?iso-8859-1? PopTray is not blocked even if it cannot decode the content of the subject field. K9 and MO did correctly display this content.

Borgtex
Groupie

Post by Borgtex » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:54 pm

I got that message twice, seems it was caused by emails larger than 7 Mb in both cases (I use K9, avast, but not plugins). I had to switch to an older version.

akarmi
First Timer

Post by akarmi » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:29 am

Hi,

I got the same problem. Looks like two messages caused it, both had an utf8 encoded subject, like: =?utf-8?Q?SAP_cikkt=C3=B6rzs?=