Login to gmail automatically?

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

gmailuser
First Timer

Login to gmail automatically?

Post by gmailuser » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:42 pm

PopTray works like a charm for me, got gmail working in minutes thanks to KY Dave's post.

Some gmail-only notifiers can launch a browser and log you into the correct account (I have several gmail accounts), but they don't do pop3. As I understand PopTray hasn't such a feature (and is not supposed to have). But maybe someone has come up with workaround, plug-in or some other method to do just that?

Thanks!

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:55 pm

PopTray can partially do this.

Here's how to do it...

First start your web browser and go to the LOGIN Page of GMail account.

In the ADDRESS Window, COPY the URL of the LOGIN Page.

Then in PopTray on the ACCOUNTS TAB, select your account...

in the box near the bottom for EMAIL PROGRAM...

point it to the browser you want to use..

Leave a space and place the double quotation mark (")

then PASTE the URL for the account LOGIN Page and another set of the double quotation mark (").

Here is an example if you are using IE...

Code: Select all

C://Programs/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe "https://www.google.com/accounts/Login?etc"
SAVE ACCOUNT.

Now when you are using PopTray and CLICK on RUN EMAIL CLIENT for that account your Browser will start and go to that LOGIN Page.

PopTray will NOT actually log you in, but you will be at the login page.

Repeat those steps for the other account(s).

PopTray will still start Outlook Express or DEFAULT email client for REPLY or NEW.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Re: Login to gmail automatically?

Post by homaquebec » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:54 pm

gmailuser wrote:PopTray works like a charm for me, got gmail working in minutes thanks to KY Dave's post.

Some gmail-only notifiers can launch a browser and log you into the correct account (I have several gmail accounts), but they don't do pop3. As I understand PopTray hasn't such a feature (and is not supposed to have). But maybe someone has come up with workaround, plug-in or some other method to do just that?

Thanks!
Maybe you could use Incredimail to manage your Gmail accounts. I use it to manage my Hotmail account and I am plenty satistied. Here is a link where you will find some information. Be careful in the choice of the version: the free one and the number of the version. If you want to work with Incredimail, you will have to sep-up PopTray such a way to launch it as the email client in the Gmail accounts windows.

gmailuser
First Timer

Post by gmailuser » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:57 am

Thanks for replies. I prefer to use gmail's web interface, but don't feel like using the same password for all accounts and that makes logging in manually a little inconvenient...

Btw, PopTray occasionally takes very long to check a single gmail account, like 30 s or so, that makes 3 minutes for 6 accounts and what's worse - it doesn't respond during this time. I recon it's the problem of the plug-in, but it doesn't make it less annoying.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:02 pm

minor rant....

Webmail accounts and fast are unfortunately a contradition in terms.... add to this if you leave your emails in the inbox... its even slower still

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:24 pm

gmailuser wrote:Thanks for replies. I prefer to use gmail's web interface, but don't feel like using the same password for all accounts and that makes logging in manually a little inconvenien.
I use ROBOFORMS to accomplish the repetitive tasks of logins.

With one click, ROBOFORMS will take you to the page, enter your USERNAME, PASSWORD, and SUBMIT your entries.

ROBOFORMS will manage your passwords, fill in web forms and several other tasks.

I use it with AVANT, but it will work with IE and FIREFOX.

I think it's FREE for up to 10 passcards.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.