downloaded file doesn't open ?

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

herbie1107
First Timer

downloaded file doesn't open ?

Post by herbie1107 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:04 am

I just downloaded what I thought was "PopTray310.exe". The file only shows 13 kbs and is impossible to open or install.

Can anyone please explain and help ?

herbie1107
neuling

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:06 am

The PopTray file should be around 1073 kb. It was probably a transfer error.

You can click the link below and then choose the closest download site to download PopTray 3.1 ...

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/popt ... e?download
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

mpot
Fanatic

Re: downloaded file doesn't open ?

Post by mpot » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:39 pm

herbie1107 wrote:I just downloaded what I thought was "PopTray310.exe". The file only shows 13 kbs and is impossible to open or install.
It looks like you downloaded this link directly (ie, right-click, save link as), as it's exactly 13kb.

However, that's not actually the file you want....it's a webpage with download locations of the PopTray installer.

You need to view this page in a web browser, and then select a download location.

Cheers,
Martin.

herbie1107
First Timer

Still trying to download PopTray, links only have 13 KB file

Post by herbie1107 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:59 am

Thanks fellows for your suggestions.

I have tried all the links, still get nothing but the 13KB html file. When opening it says it's not a Windows32 application.
One time a got out a reg file which closed again because it was a violation.
Opening it direct on IE had the same result with a warning that this file may be a virus and was suspicious.

I usually don't give up easy, but Im about to do just that, unless someone perhaps can email me the complete (about 1 mb file) directly.

Herb
neuling

mpot
Fanatic

Re: Still trying to download PopTray, links only have 13 KB

Post by mpot » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:42 pm

herbie1107 wrote:Thanks fellows for your suggestions.

I have tried all the links, still get nothing but the 13KB html file. When opening it says it's not a Windows32 application.
Try downloading directly from this link (New York sourceforge download site for PopTray installer).

Cheers,
Martin.

herbie1107
First Timer

Success at last !

Post by herbie1107 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:49 pm

Thanks Martin for your help.
The last link finally allowed me to download the file. It really seems like a very nice program, although I may have to get a little better acquainted yet with all the different rules and set-ups.
At this point I think it may be a good idea for anyone else who tries to download the program to make downloading directly available to everybody on the first try instead of getting the useless 13 kb HTML file on all download sites.
Best regards,
Herb
neuling

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:21 pm

Herb,

Its you that needs to get used to the various ways that the internet works. This is a standard method for sites such as this that provide multiple download location.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: Success at last !

Post by KY Dave » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:38 pm

herbie1107 wrote:At this point I think it may be a good idea for anyone else who tries to download the program to make downloading directly available to everybody on the first try instead of getting the useless 13 kb HTML file on all download sites.
It is most likely a security setup issue on your computer that won't let you download a file from the link provided. Generally, users don't have any problem using SOURCE FORGE.

[FYI]
There are multiple downloads sites to provide users with the best possible experience when downloading a given file.

By having multiple servers around the world, there are some that are closer to the downloader, which means quicker download times.

Also with more than one download server, many more people can access the files without getting a busy server.

The more downloading that occurs, the higher the cost for the increasing amounts of bandwidth. Source Forge provides the band width for many developers that can't afford the costs.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.