Strange 'error'

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Zythan
Enthusiast

Strange 'error'

Post by Zythan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:50 am

Hello,

I am not sure if this is an error or not, but anyway.

I am using PopTray on a WinXP SP2 machine that is part of a W2K domain. I have added the command line to the shortcut as follows:

"C:\Program Files\PopTray\PopTray.exe" "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%"

This works Ok. What happened yesterday was that the file server that contains the user "Home folder" was off-line and PopTray ran with the ini file that was in "C:\Program Files\PopTray\".

My question is: why, when the command line is used, that in the case of an unavailable folder that the ini file the program folder in loaded ?

TIA

Zythan

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:17 am

I would think this would be the desired results.

It would seem to be a fail-safe or fall back strategy.

IMO - It is better than PopTray not starting due to a lack of availability of the path to the desired ini file (file not found error).

An easy fix would be to remove the ini file in the PopTray directory, would it not?
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

mpot
Fanatic

Post by mpot » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:09 pm

KY Dave wrote:IMO - It is better than PopTray not starting due to a lack of availability of the path to the desired ini file (file not found error).
IMO, it's better to fail to start, with an appropriate descriptive error, rather than starting with the default (and in this case, the wrong) INI file.

Cheers,
Martin.

Zythan
Enthusiast

Re: Strange 'error'

Post by Zythan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:52 pm

Hello,
mpot wrote:IMO, it's better to fail to start, with an appropriate descriptive error, rather than starting with the default (and in this case, the wrong) INI file.
This is what I would have hoped for, but maybe this could be added for a future version of PopTray, as could other options for multiuser machines.

Regards.

Zythan

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:17 pm

mpot wrote:IMO, it's better to fail to start, with an appropriate descriptive error, rather than starting with the default (and in this case, the wrong) INI file.
If PopTray is running and Windows has an unexpected SHUTDOWN...
PopTray's ini file is sometimes corrupted.

What would a user do if PopTray would not start with a default ini file and continually popped up a file not found error?

RE-INSTALL?

If Renier wanted to popup a warning message like "STARTING WITH DEFAULT SETTINGS", that would be ok, but to continue to popup a "File Not Found Error" would not be a good option, IMO.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Zythan
Enthusiast

Post by Zythan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:07 pm

Hello,
KY Dave wrote:What would a user do if PopTray would not start with a default ini file and continually popped up a file not found error?

RE-INSTALL?

If Renier wanted to popup a warning message like "STARTING WITH DEFAULT SETTINGS", that would be ok, but to continue to popup a "File Not Found Error" would not be a good option, IMO.
I do not think that PT should be continually popping a message, if the ini file is corrupted, either it shuts down or does not do anything after one error message.

What would be nice is to have the possibility to allow a default ini to be loaded in the case of a user ini being currupted or missing.

Regards.

Zythan

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:42 pm

Zythan wrote:I do not think that PT should be continually popping a message, if the ini file is corrupted, either it shuts down or does not do anything after one error message.

What would be nice is to have the possibility to allow a default ini to be loaded in the case of a user ini being currupted or missing.
When I wrote continually, I meant at each PopTray restart.

If PopTray would 'either it shuts down or does not do anything' how would a user fix the problem?

I realize that a few users would have a backup ini or as in your situation, the path could be restored, but most users don't have backup ini files, so what would they do?

Their only alternative would be to find/download a PopTray Installation file, RE-INSTALL the entire PopTray package and enter their info again.

The way PopTray works now, users would only need to enter their info again, not RE-INSTALL.

I support the 'WARNING: FILE NOT FOUND' message or something similar,
but I do NOT support the 'either it shuts down or does not do anything' suggestion.

Here is my suggestion using PopTray in it's current configuration...

Move the PopTray.ini out of the PopTray directory to another location. This way, if your PopTray CURRENT USER path is not active, PopTray will start but there will be NO accounts in the instance that opens. It will be obvious to you that the correct PopTray.ini has not been opened.

You should post this in the FEATURE REQUEST Section if you want Renier to condsider changing the function or add a warning.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Zythan
Enthusiast

Post by Zythan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:46 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, but may I point out the following;

If PopTray does not find an .ini file it will create a blank one whether that be in the default program folder or in the current user folder, but this it does without any message to the user.
KY Dave wrote:I support the 'WARNING: FILE NOT FOUND' message or something similar, but I do NOT support the 'either it shuts down or does not do anything' suggestion.
Please do not take out of context what I wrote "either it shuts down or does not do anything after one error message".

If the program does this at least the user knows that the program has encountered a problem.

Since this "Strange 'error'" would appear to be normal behaviour, I will open a post in the FEATURE REQUEST section as you suggest.

May I finish by saying thank you on behalf of all of those users not in my situation (no backups) for the
Sticky you created on the subject. I am sure this will be more than useful for many of them.

Regards.

Zythan

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:52 am

Zythan wrote: Since this "Strange 'error'" would appear to be normal behaviour, I will open a post in the FEATURE REQUEST section as you suggest.
I support your Feature Request. It will be a good WARNING for users.
Zythan wrote: May I finish by saying thank you on behalf of all of those users not in my situation (no backups) for the
Sticky you created on the subject. I am sure this will be more than useful for many of them.
Your welcome! I hope some users will read it and follow the directions, maybe it will help avoid some problems for them and me. :wink:
KY Dave

Family Blog