Problems with timeouts after standby/suspend

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

biastoch
First Timer

Problems with timeouts after standby/suspend

Post by biastoch » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:30 pm

Hi,

after powering up from standby (save-to-ram) or suspend (save-to-ram) I always have problems with timeouts. It seems to be that - after powering up - tries to check imediately (since interval is reached) and cannot get a network connection since it takes a few seconds for Windows to re-initialize the network. During that time Poptray reports problems with all email accounts.

I tried to play around with several options (e.g. "Ignore connection errors", "Ignore retrieve errors", "Check if on-line") but none of that worked.

I am using version 3.1 with IMAP4rev1 (c-client) plugin.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Arne

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: Problems with timeouts after standby/suspend

Post by KY Dave » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:39 pm

biastoch wrote:Hi,
"Ignore retrieve errors", "Check if on-line") but none of that worked.
I would suggest using all of those, but if that doesn't help, then there are no other settings to recommend, AFAIK.

PopTray should continue to check with those settings and return to normal operation as soon as your connection is made.

Anyone else have any ideas?
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:04 am

I'm not sure if Poptray will consider this as a fresh startup or not... if it does try enabling Check for New mail on Startup and enter a larger number of seconds than it is set for now. This is on the General Options page.

biastoch
First Timer

Post by biastoch » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:50 am

Rdsok wrote:I'm not sure if Poptray will consider this as a fresh startup or not... if it does try enabling Check for New mail on Startup and enter a larger number of seconds than it is set for now. This is on the General Options page.
Thanks for suggestions.

For startup I always use the option to wait for some time until check the boxes. While this works very well, powering up from standby/suspend is not a start (sice Poptray was already running when I set the computer into standby/suspend). And since the interval for checking the accounts has been exceeded (assuming a time between power off to power on longer than the check period) Poptray immediately tries to check.

-Arne

biastoch
First Timer

Post by biastoch » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:15 am

Short addendum: I just encountered that this bug is not due to poptray itself but reasoned by the IMAP plugin I used. After exchanging this by another version (most) of the timeouts disappeared.

Anyway, due to the diversity of the different plugins and the popular use of IMAP it would be time to either fully integrate IMAP into the program or to release an official plugin (that has some options, as timeouts, too).

Arne

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:14 pm

Well... there won't be a difference whether its left as a plugin or internal and leaving it as a plugin just makes more sense because most ISP's won't incorperate this anyway since the standard was too loosely written. That is why this won't just take off... there are too many different styles of implementions because of the loose standards which also will make debugging the plugin a nightmare. Basically testing will need to be done for each rendition of it and that may be a bigger job than what a programmer want to tackle because they will need an account on each server implementation to just make it work.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Sat May 06, 2006 10:38 pm

PopTray 3.2 (beta 5) now disables auto-checking when the PC suspends and then re-enables it when it wakes up.

Not sure if this will help with the problem.