New online Personal Organizer

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

FineOrder
Still here

New online Personal Organizer

Post by FineOrder » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:00 pm

I'd like to introduce you to a new Internet-based collectors software at http://www.fineorder.com/. Now you can access your collection catalog from any computer connected to the Internet. You won't have to do any maintenance, we will take care of your data. Your privacy is ID/password protected. Subscribe to this service ($3.95/month) and you will get access to your personalized Internet Link Library, Contact manager, books, video, DVD, music catalogs. Feel free to take a tour using "Guest" account.
Gifts and souvenirs at www.MIDGems.com!

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Fri May 10, 2002 8:10 pm

What? Is this spam on a forum? :evil:

If it is, why not delete it.. :!:

FineOrder
Still here

Post by FineOrder » Fri May 10, 2002 9:04 pm

Dear Curtz,

The best way to remove spam is to remove it. I would think that Mr. Crause as owner of this site can do it at any time.

From other side my message (you call it spam) was posted in the "Anything" folder. Anything mean anything, right? Also, I'm offering service, not just bother you (and, BTW, it is became free about month ago).

Respectfully -
Dmitry

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri May 10, 2002 9:40 pm

Nevertheless I agree with Curtz and I don't think that such an ad (or whatever you want to call it) does belong here. There might be other ways to advertise if you are in need of supporters.

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Fri May 10, 2002 9:40 pm

This is a forum, not a market place. You were marketing a commercial product, not only a "service".

Renier is funding this site and you are using it as a free place to market your commercial product (it was commercial at the time).

FineOrder
Still here

Post by FineOrder » Fri May 10, 2002 10:15 pm

Gentlemen,

Let me repeat please, if you don't like information I post here (spam, ad, marketing etc) - just remove it. Or ask owner to do so.

Before place information on this and other forums, I'm checking forum policy. Lot of forums have a separate folder for adds. This forum doesn't have a policy (may be I missed it? my apology to everybody in this case) and I placed information in the Anything folder.

With respect -
Dmitry

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri May 10, 2002 10:25 pm

Firstly, since we are not moderators here, we are not able and allowed to remove any posts and if Renier thinks that your ad doesn't belong here, it will bite the dust anyway.

Secondly, since this forum has no policy or whatever (what I doubt), there's still no point in marketing stuff here. Even if you put it in the "Anything" column. The crucial point is not where you post something, but WHAT. Don't you think it a bit arkward to advertise some pay-stuff in a freeware forum?

FineOrder
Still here

Post by FineOrder » Fri May 10, 2002 10:45 pm

Dear Bateman,

As I mentioned, a lot of forums have a separate place for adds. I found interesting information on such sections - visitor's reviews. Very honest and open-minded ones.

I offer a service. Good one, I hope. Yes, it was not a free service at beginning, but as soon as my provider "donated" enough SQL space, I made it free. It is funny that you guys blaming me for service...

BTW, is it OK that I have an advertisement attached to my signature?

Thanks for your opinion -
Dmitry

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri May 10, 2002 10:58 pm

FineOrder wrote:As I mentioned, a lot of forums have a separate place for adds.
But as you might have noticed: this one hasn't. So this point of argument is not quite striking. Anyway, Curtz and me, we just gave our opinion and the one to decide is still Renier. Let's wait and see what he has to say. In short: I, personally don't like it.

And concerning your signature, hey, I don't mind. You're not the first here with an ad in ones sig and as long as others don't feel offended...

FineOrder
Still here

Post by FineOrder » Fri May 10, 2002 11:10 pm

Dear Bateman,

Let me thank you again for your opinion. It is appreciated. TGI Friday and have a great weekend!

Dmitry

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri May 10, 2002 11:24 pm

You are welcome!

Lucky you, my weekend consists of work, writing papers for uni and the like. Have a nice one nevertheless :)

nicolas
Expert

Post by nicolas » Mon May 13, 2002 4:54 am

Wow!
You like to waste your time guys! ;)

This message has been posted in February...

Note: I had time to waste too for the complete reading of this topic! :D
Toute utopie n'est pas impossible à réaliser...

Post by Guest » Mon May 13, 2002 5:30 am

Nicolas,

I was surprized even more when got reply to my Febriary's post... Now, please, pay attention, next paragraph will be an commercial advertisement, stop reading right now if you dont like it.

I want to invite you to visit my new project - on-line
Jewelry, gemstones and gifts store

For programmers - if anybody is interested, I can describe how I'm using MS SQL's DTS with ASP to integrate Excel inventory.

Thanks
Dmitry

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Mon May 13, 2002 10:01 am

I don't like spam (why else would I write a program that is very much used to get rid of spam), and the above advertisement is spam in my opinion.

But since there has been a whole discussion here, I won't delete it.

quosego
Guru

Interesting discussion.

Post by quosego » Mon May 13, 2002 3:24 pm

In a way i must agree with the people who think the fineorder posting is spam, especially since this is a commercial product (nearly 50 USD a year for the service).

But on the other hand the fineorder-guy had the decency to post this in the proper place. This forum is called *anything* and no restrictions are made for posting here.

And where do we have to draw the line? I use quite a number of programs that i am enthousiastic about, is it allowed to discuss them here as a sort of promotion?

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Re: Interesting discussion.

Post by ilNebbioso » Mon May 13, 2002 5:14 pm

quosego wrote:I use quite a number of programs that i am enthousiastic about, is it allowed to discuss them here as a sort of promotion?
My own opinion is that the difference between
"I'm an enthousiastic user of the free/share/commercial software/service"

and

"I'm trying to promote a commercial service to make money"

is very big. Isn't it?
So, which kind of programs do you use? Are they freeware? I love freeware (and I love to make them grow!) :D

ilNebbioso®

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Mon May 13, 2002 11:56 pm

I started a new discussion in *anything* to talk about freeware and/or shareware. So let's exchange some experience and knowledge :)