PopTray 3.2 freezes

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Dilas
Evolving

PopTray 3.2 freezes

Post by Dilas » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:26 pm

I recognized that Poptray 3.2 freezes by 100 % CPU usages while looking for e mails with very long "Betreff" (I dont know the english word.. :oops: ) like

Undeliverable: =?windows-1251?b?0OXj6PHy8OD26P8g7/Dl5O/w6P/y6Okg6CDj7vLu4vvlIPTo8Oz7LiDC7ufi8ODyIOTu6+Pu4iDr

Barrow
First Timer

Post by Barrow » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:27 pm

I have the same problem. I detected that problem caused by malformed subject field in email header - missed encoded string terminator: "=?=". Usualy it happens with spam emails with long subject, but subject length not a primary reason. For instance:
Subject: =?windows-1251?b?Isbo4uD=?=
is OK for TopTray, but
Subject: =?windows-1251?b?Isbo4uD
cause freeze. Primary reason is an unnecessary line break in subject, I think.
By the way, in this case MS Outlook (for instance) disaplays the subject unencoded and the rest of email header goes to the body.

Thanks to developers for the excellent mail checker and waiting for fix and update.

Dilas
Evolving

Post by Dilas » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:10 pm

Since 1 week I m recieving daily up to 20 Spam mails with the above problem. Poptray freezes everytime... and that means: I cant use it, cause it freezes 20 times a day.

the mails come from Russia and the subject looks always like this:

=?windows-1251?b?Isbo4uD/IO7y6vD78urgIiHP8ODn5O3o6ugg7/Du9OXx8eju7eDr/O3uIc3u4ujt6ugg7vIg6/P3

I ve tried to install Poptray 3.03, 3.1 and 3.2
the problem remains the same
:(

Its no problem to load these e mails with Outlook Express.

Please help !

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:34 pm

Thanks, this could help to track down the problem.

Dilas
Evolving

Post by Dilas » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:23 pm

Could you solve the problem ???

gu1c2h5oh
First Timer

Problem and work-around for freezing issue

Post by gu1c2h5oh » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:27 pm

I am experiencing this problem about once a month whereby Poptray 3.2 checks mail to a point (a certain message), then hogs the processor until a restart. The particular message which it doesn't like usually has a subject containing: =?windows-1251?B?

Poptray then freezes and won't budge. Stopping the poptray process two or three times (why more than once?) eventually stops Poptray and allows you to take remedial action on your mailbox.

Logging on to your webmail service, you can look for the offending message and delete it.

Out of interest, WIKI says: Windows-1251 is an 8-bit character encoding, designed to cover languages that use the Cyrillic alphabet such as Russian, Bulgarian

I can supply a couple of "bad" messages if required.

Cheers, Calum

Dilas
Evolving

Post by Dilas » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi Renier,

PopTray is nearly perfect...nearly !

So please try to solve this issue.

clowenthal
First Timer

PopTray freezing since latest Microsoft Security Patch

Post by clowenthal » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:15 am

I've been using PopTray 3.2 with SSL (for GMAIL) since December 2006 without any issues at all. This program is fantastic!!!!

Microsoft just put out a security patch this past Tuesday (April 3) - something to do with a .ani vulnerability. Since this has been installed on my machines - PopTray freezes.

I've stopped running animated icons in the tray and removed the lightning bolt (making it none) when checking mail and things seem to have stabilized.

Not sure what Microsoft did - but something is no longer right with the icons due to Microsofts latest patch.

clowenthal
First Timer

Post by clowenthal » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:51 pm

Actually - I spoke to soon. I have three different machines I use PopTray 3.2 on. The machine where I use multiple account (4) - PopTray continues to freeze. The other two machines - where I only have one account - seems to be fine while the machine is on and animations shut down. However, when I shut the machine down, PopTray doesn't close properly and I have to manually end it.

Again - never had a problem on any of these machines before Microsoft's great security patch....

clowenthal
First Timer

Post by clowenthal » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:56 pm

Well, seems I figured it out.

If anyone is having this problem since the lastest Microsoft security patch went in, the following knowledgebase article will fix it with the downloadable hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

I'm back in business on all my three machines!!!!

Craig.

billpom
Still here

Pop Tray 3.2 chokes

Post by billpom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:51 pm

I originally thought it was a problem with my ATTGlobal account. Attglobal has a spam filter which puts <<POTENTIAL-SPAM>> in the subject line. I have set up a rule in PopTray 3.2 that if the subject line contains <<POTENTIAL-SPAM>> to delete it from the server. PopTray 3.2 stops responding VERY frequently when checking email, but only on emil that has been identified as <<POTENTIAL-SPAM>>. If I then login to my ATTGlobal account using mail2web.com and delete the oldest <<POTENTIAL-SPAM>> email, log out of the account, and then do a quick check with PopTray, it will then process the remaining email, until it chokes again. I rolled back to PT 3.1, but the problem still continues. Windows Mail (Vista) will download the message without a problem.
BillP

charlesdb
Evolving

Post by charlesdb » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:51 pm

Thank you Craig This worked for me!
Charles