I can not get features of PopTrayU 5.2.6 to work ?

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

sportman12
Enthusiast

I can not get features of PopTrayU 5.2.6 to work ?

Post by sportman12 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:21 pm

Rdsok I can not get features of PopTrayU 5.2.6 to work

1 PopTrayU 5.2.6 feature not working

, PopTrayU will see the new message. However, balloon only works pops up on restart. No balloon popup when new email comes in can you give me the fix to make it work when new email comes in get back to me please

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: I can not get features of PopTrayU 5.2.6 to work ?

Post by Rdsok » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:37 pm

Moved to the proper forum area for possible bugs... please pay attention to the area's you are making posts in to ensure they are in the proper area. You'd posted in the Poptray General area ... not the PoptrayU Bug Report area...

I'll enable the feature on my test system ( since I don't prefer that feature ) and see if I can recreate the issue or not. I'll post back once I've gotten a few emails in...

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:39 am

I was unable to recreate the issue you are reporting... but of course you didn't give much info except what you were trying to achieve... but not what options you may have selected, what OS version you may be running it on nor what protection software you may be running... So I just tested the options I thought were the proper settings since I can't test for situations I'm unaware of because you hadn't mentioned them.

In the Options -> General Options under the "New Message Notification" area ... I selected "Show Balloon Notification" and under that "Use Deluxe Balloon" which I set for 0 seconds ( the popup never go away until you remove it by closing the popup window )... I didn't want it to possibly go away on it's own after some seconds and possibly miss seeing it.

After making those settings... I then emailed myself 4 different times and each time I got a popup message showing the new email had come in.

If those settings don't work for you... try disabling the start of other 3rd party programs that may be running in the background to eliminate them from being a possible conflict.

sportman12
Enthusiast

Post by sportman12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 am

Rdsok my apologize should have make it details..here OS version Windows 10 homen am running windows defender..

.I tryed this what you said below did not work

In the Options -> General Options under the "New Message Notification" area ... I selected "Show Balloon Notification" and under that "Use Deluxe Balloon" which I set for 0 seconds ( the popup never go away until you remove it by closing the popup window )... I didn't want it to possibly go away on it's own after some seconds and possibly miss seeing it.

After making those settings... I then emailed myself 4 different times and each time I got a popup message showing the new email had come in.

If those settings don't work for you... try disabling the start of other 3rd party programs that may be running in the background to eliminate them from being a possible conflict.

Here is what happen email came in no pop up it will not pop up here is a screenshot of my set up version number on top do I have the right version get back to me please
Attachments
PopTrayU.popup.PNG
PopTrayU.popup.PNG (148.24 KiB) Viewed 966 times

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:42 pm

That is the latest version of PoptrayU. I've used it on I've used it on Win7 and Win10 Home and Pro without issues... Defender should not interfere with it.

Here are my Interval and General settings... During my own tests, I decreased the Check Mail frequency to about 3 minutes but I usually recommend about 15-20 minutes or longer ( depending on your needs )

If these don't help... it has to be something else running on your computer that is interfering. I haven't heard of another program that could interfere so I'm unable to guess at what else you may have running.

Interval.jpg
Interval.jpg (62.08 KiB) Viewed 959 times
General.jpg
General.jpg (63.05 KiB) Viewed 959 times

sportman12
Enthusiast

Post by sportman12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Rdsok did not work

I am a disabled person this is a new computer built I am not computer savy If you would please do this I use Teamviewer using Teamviewer I am in the east coast USA you can tell me a good time for you and day to login and see please if you can get poptrayu to work I would be very great full really like poptrayu I can pm you my email address get back to me please

v

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:00 pm

I don't provide that type of help... I'm just a user like yourself and like most free programs, I don't get paid for that help, I just volunteer what time and suggestions that I can. As far as I know of, that type of support is only provided by higher end programs that you've purchased and then if the problem isn't an actual program bug but something else on the computer... they'll charge you to help fix or find the causes.

sportman12
Enthusiast

Post by sportman12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Rdsok

I am a disabled person this is a new computer built I am not computer savy if you could please take me thru steps for a fresh install if it could be a bug on poptrayu or I could try a older version of poptrayu If you would please I would be very great full really like poptrayu get back to me please

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Here is a website I found with a Google Search on how to uninstall a program in Windows...

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/unin ... windows-10

Here is the website where you can download the latest ( or older ) versions of PoptrayU ( I'd recommend the latest )... I also recommend the default setting when installing...When complete, resetup your email accounts.

http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/

sportman12
Enthusiast

Post by sportman12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:55 pm

Rdsok what did you mean I also recommend the default setting when installing...When complete, resetup your email accounts.and do I use OpenSll and do I uninstall everything first ?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Uninstall PoptrayU first... of course since you want to start a fresh install

When re-installing ... the PoptrayU will ask you questions on how you want it installed... don't change anything, use the recommended defaults that it has ...

I assumed you've installed once before and setup your email... whether you need the SSL installed ( most do need it these days ) will depend on what your internet provider ( ISP ) says is needed during the email account setup. You will need to refer to your ISP's instructions for setting up an email account since they each ISP's settings are different. I recommend using their settings for a POP3 account, those are the most reliable and are also what I always use.

sportman12
Enthusiast

Post by sportman12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Rdsok I use gmail when I Uninstall settings and reinstall settings are is still their ... fresh install instructions I need ? Do I use Gmail settings for POP3 with Gmail account ?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Here are Gmails instructions ( found with a Google search again... ) for their POP3 settings.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en

After re-installing... Just deleting the original account setup should be fine and re-setup. Gmail does require the SSL plugin btw

sportman12
Enthusiast

Post by sportman12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:16 pm

Rdsok this is was in Gmail on the web I have On next to my set web setup is this different for pop3t and on poptrayu get back to me please ?

Tip: You can also forward only some of your mail by creating a filter!
POP Download:
Learn more
1. Status: POP is enabled for all mail that has arrived since 12/14/04
Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded) On
Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on
Disable POP

2. When messages are accessed with POP

3. Configure your email client (e.g. Outlook, Eudora, Netscape Mail)
Configuration instructions
IMAP Access:
(access Gmail from other clients using IMAP)
Learn more
Enable IMAP On
Disable IMAP

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:
Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default) On
Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server.

When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:
Archive the message (default)
Move the message to the Trash
Immediately delete the message forever

Folder Size Limits
Do not limit the number of messages in an IMAP folder (default) On
Limit IMAP folders to contain no more than this many messages

Configure your email client (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird, iPhone)
Configuration instructions

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 pm

Follow the instructions as that webpage mentions to enable POP3 on Gmail...

These are the POP3 settings as that webpage mentioned ( use your email address instead of my example )
Gmail.jpg
Gmail.jpg (27.46 KiB) Viewed 944 times

sportman12
Enthusiast

Post by sportman12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:58 pm

Rdsok the instructions I Posted of the webpage are my setup is it right ?

ok poptrayu is the setup for Gmail ? (I should use my email address your example
Last edited by sportman12 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:02 am

I know I linked you to the proper setup instructions... I can't tell if you've followed those instructions properly or not. At some point you will have to think for yourself on this... that point is now.

sportman12
Enthusiast

Post by sportman12 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 am

Rdsok the instructions I Posted of the webpage are my setup is it right ?

ok poptrayu is the setup for Gmail ? (I should use my email address your example

MarkRH
First Timer

Post by MarkRH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:19 am

Hey all. I've been helping sportman out. I was able to duplicate his issue on my system. With version 5.2.6 if I set my account to use IMAP (it's on my webhost, not Gmail), then it does not produce a popup window or bring the main window forward with a new message even though the Main window does show the new messages. If I change it to POP, then it starts working. Version 5.0.15 seems to work with both IMAP and POP settings.

So, I'll either help him set it up to check Gmail using POP or go with the earlier version. Weird.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:08 am

POP email accounts use a very strict standard that operates consistently... IMAP is not a strict standard therefore doesn't work consistently with each server that may use it... and is also part of why I mentioned previously to setup using POP. If you setup using POP / POP SSL then you should always work without issues... IMAP depends too much on which server you are connecting to and then, they may change it later on you and what worked fine for a time, suddenly has issues.