Losing account details

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Tresco79
First Timer

Losing account details

Post by Tresco79 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Hello all
i am running Windows 10 - one of those updates from Windows 7 - and I keep losing my account details on Pop Tray.
Why is this happening?
What do I need to do to stop it happening?
Thanks

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: Losing account details

Post by Rdsok » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Poptray isn't compatible with Windows 10... update to PoptrayU http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/

When installing, I recommend you use the default locations for the user files. That location is typically C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\PoptrayU ... It's recommended to keep a backup of the files in that location to help safeguard against file corruptions that may happen when the computer isn't shut down properly.

thehay95
First Timer

Post by thehay95 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:35 pm

my computer only have windows 10, why not compatible
cong ty chuyen nha quan 4 gia re, gioi thieu tim giup viec nha chuyen nha

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:48 pm

Poptray is only compatible with up to Windows XP and wasn't updated for the newer security requirements added in Windows Vista and newer since Renier quit supporting and updating it. That is part of why PoptrayU was created from the original code of Poptray and has been updated by jojobear ( Jessica Brown )

Tresco79
First Timer

Post by Tresco79 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for your reply Rdsok I will update PoptrayU.

Tresco79
First Timer

Post by Tresco79 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:42 am

So I installed PoptrayU loaded the details of the six email accounts I have, used the computer a few times shutting it down and opening it up and the accounts have all been there.
Today I open up and they've all gone again :x
What to do now apart from load all the details again??

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:04 pm

As I mentioned in my first response post to you... it's recommended to keep a backup of the user files that I mentioned. Having said that again, there is something going wrong on your computer like it isn't shutting down properly or completely. The only "normal" thing I can think of happens on Windows 10 systems, it uses hybrid mode shutdown and turns off the display before the computer is completely shut down... When you tell Win10 to shut down, make certain that the power light is completely off before turning off any power to the system otherwise you risk something similar to what you are describing.

Other possible causes... minor disk corruptions ( typically caused by improper/incomplete shutdowns ) could also explain it... running "chkdisk /r" on it should help in those cases. If you are not familiar with that, use a Google search for step by step instructions.

Another possibility could be a malware infection... run Malwarebytes to check for possible adware/spyware and other infections.