How can I make backup e.g. all my accounts?

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

PopTrayer
Still here

How can I make backup e.g. all my accounts?

Post by PopTrayer » Thu May 28, 2020 1:50 pm

I have a many accounts and I dont want to make them again everytime when I e.g. formatted my computer.

Can I somehow make a backup my accounts?

I know that in Windows XP, 7 and Vista we could copyed all folder from Program Files, formate computer and paste it again and everything was returned. Now it is impossible but maybe is another way to backup it?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: How can I make backup e.g. all my accounts?

Post by Rdsok » Thu May 28, 2020 4:46 pm

If you are still using Poptray ( which is the area you are posting in, so that is what I will assume... ) ... you can follow the instructions here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2942

If you are using PoptrayU... you make backup copies of the same files but they would be located in the location you selected during the installation process. ... in addition, if you are using PoptrayU, you should post your questions for it in its forum area instead.

The default location PoptrayU stores the files is in the user account area... ie C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\PoptrayU\ ... Please note that the AppData folder is hidden, so you'd need to have your Windows settings to show hidden files... and that [user name] represents your user name on Windows.

PopTrayer
Still here

Post by PopTrayer » Thu May 28, 2020 7:16 pm

I returned to PopTray 3.2 and Im not usying PopTrayU thats why Im asking here and I dont have any files connected with PopTray in C: \ Users \ [User Name] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Poptray
My hidden files are showed.

All my files connected with PopTray are in C>Program Files (x86)>PopTray but I have noticed that I dont have e.g. poptray.ini file

Attachments
2020-05-28 18_24_54-Greenshot.jpg
2020-05-28 18_24_54-Greenshot.jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 2761 times

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri May 29, 2020 1:02 am

Poptray is no longer supported, especially on an OS that it was never made for... Windows may be placing some of the files in other areas in an attempt to get it to work without sacrificing security but I'm not certain and I'm not setting up a test bed just to test an unsupported setup... you are on your own at that point.

PopTrayer
Still here

Post by PopTrayer » Fri May 29, 2020 9:56 am

OK, I understand again but old PopTray must have settings which are saved somewhere. (.ini)

PopTrayer
Still here

Post by PopTrayer » Sat May 30, 2020 7:39 pm

Hellooooo - can anybody knows where can find .ini file???????

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun May 31, 2020 2:21 am

PopTrayer wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:39 pm
Hellooooo - can anybody knows where can find .ini file???????
Windows has a search function that lets you find files on your computer...

PopTrayer
Still here

Post by PopTrayer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:02 pm

...so If somebody who made it doesnt know how export all settings and acounts I will do it! (For Windows 10)

First If You are using PopTray and You want to export You all settings and accounts You must copy and save these folders:

1. Program Files (x86) > PopTray (all folder)
2. Users > Yours computer name > AppData> Local > VirtualStore > Program Files (x86) > PopTray (all folder)

If you are after formatted Your disk or reinstall Your system (Windows 10)

1. Install PopTray but do not launch.
2. Find folders above, delete it and paste saved
3. Restart

Enjoy!!

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:19 pm

Thanks for the info but that still doesn't make Poptray compatible with Windows 10 which is still the main issue and I'd strongly recommend anyone else to use PoptrayU which has been updated to work with Windows 10. Again, I still want to thank you for the info just in case others may need the info.

PopTrayer
Still here

Post by PopTrayer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:54 pm

I didn't see a difference between PorTray and U and I tested PopTray from XP to Windows 10 and works well.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:26 am

Your lack of experience with how Windows and Poptray works under the hood is the only reason you aren't seeing a difference... you are just looking at the surface. For just one example, programs were suppose to stop writing in protected folder areas and start using the UserData Local, Locallow and Roaming folders and not their own program folder areas. This was done for security reasons to keep malware out of those and other areas. Windows did implement a work-around for installed programs... that is were you see the use of the VirtualStore folder area but it often causes problems with programs such as Poptray, one's you obviously haven't read back on that are reported in the threads on this very forum. PoptrayU addressed that issue as well as took care of many other minor bugs that hadn't been corrected in Poptray at the time.

Do as you wish... but remember that if you continue using Poptray on versions of Windows newer than XP... you do at your own risk AND that others will be unlikely to help you resolve them ... Sometimes it's hard enough keeping up with current programs and it's certainly not worth the effort to keep up with programs that have had their support dropped years ( actually a decade or so ) ago.

PopTrayer
Still here

Post by PopTrayer » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:05 pm

I know that I do it at my own risk and that nobody will help me with my problems - I noticed - that's why I tried to solve them myself and help others.