OnMouseUp on mainWindow minimizes to tray

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

Klawo
First Timer

OnMouseUp on mainWindow minimizes to tray

Post by Klawo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:45 pm

Hello,

just started using this very, very good application.
I have found two "strange" behaviors:
- when draging or resizing main window and releasing mouse button, application minimizes to tray,
- unexpected access to PopTray.ini file when closing preview window or closing application from tray icon. It throws an error when the file is in folder with read-only previliges.

Can someone confirm that 2 issues are known and maybe both will be fixed in future?
Checked on Windows 7 and 10, both 64-bit.

Klawo

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: OnMouseUp on mainWindow minimizes to tray

Post by Rdsok » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:02 pm

I have not heard or seen anyone reporting those issues... but you didn't give any specific info to base any suggestions on...

What version of PoptrayU are you running?
Where is your Poptray.ini located?

Depending on what selections you made during installation, may provide a clue on the read-only issue... but can't say without any info.

Klawo
First Timer

Post by Klawo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:55 am

Version 5.2.9 Portable.
INI file located in folder with application.
Access error appears when I moved folder manually to "C:\Program Files (x86)\".
I did it intentionally to prevent from modifying settings by mistake.

When closing preview window:
Error: unable to save Preview Window settings.
Unable to write to C:\Program Files (x86)\PopTrayU_5.2.9_portable\PopTray.ini

When closing application:
[Window Title]
Error

[Content]
Cannot create file "C:\Program Files (x86)\PopTrayU_5.2.9_portable\PopTray.ini". Access denied

[OK]

Second issue, minimizing OnMouseUp happens also when PopTrayU folder is located in place without limited access (ie. "d:\")

Below are my settings:
01 Main window.jpg
01 Main window.jpg (62.68 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
02 Preview window.jpg
02 Preview window.jpg (45.87 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
03 Rules.jpg
03 Rules.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 1725 times

Klawo
First Timer

Post by Klawo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:56 am

04 Mouse buttons.jpg
04 Mouse buttons.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
05 Advanced options.jpg
05 Advanced options.jpg (49.07 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
I tried to modify Mouse buttons settings but no success.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:50 pm

I see several issues that could be the underlying cause. Part of this I will explain ( ie the stuff for typical installs and running )... If you plan on using it in a portable setup, you are on your own but you will have to move it into and different folder for that to work. I'll try to explain it some if you want to have an understanding... but you could simply install the program normally and not worry about the details as well but then you wouldn't be using a portable setup.

While you can make PoptrayU work as a portable program... it isn't designed to work that way. If you didn't get the install program from the Sourceforge webpage... then you will want to grab a known good copy from there first. Here are the downloads folders, the 5.2.9 version is a beta and the one I'd recommend getting... see http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/download/

Since Windows Vista... by default, users run as at the highest level as standard users and not as higher security users such as admins... even if they are setup as admin users. So the Program Files, Program Files ( x86), ProgramData, and Windows folder areas ( and a few others typically hidden ) have restricted access by default. This means you can run and view these areas ( even if an admin user ) but since you will typically be running as a standard user and do not have any write permissions unless you'd selected the option to run as admin ( a right click option on programs ).

Running programs in this manner, as standard users, increases security for the system and helps protect against malware being able to typically make system changes ( they have learned a work around, so it's not a perfect method now ). This also means that when you try to make changes that would be written back to the program INI files, those changes would also be blocked and denied access.

So you can't simply copy programs into those program file areas. You'd have to copy them to locations that as a standard user you have full permissions... like under your username folder or on a USB stick.

My recommendation is to download the actual installer created by it's author and install normally. If you try to make it work as a portable setup... you are going to be on your own for the most part but it can be done as long as you have placed the files in the areas your user account has full permissions.

Klawo
First Timer

Post by Klawo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:26 pm

So, I found reason of one issue, minimizing to tray after dragging/resizing main window: :D
01 Main window - Auto-close.jpg
01 Main window - Auto-close.jpg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
I'll play around second issue "Access error to INI file".