Canines, condiments, and the California recall election

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

ComputerBob
Guru

Canines, condiments, and the California recall election

Post by ComputerBob » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:13 pm

The other night on MSNBC, they interviewed Jackie Stallone, the weird, psychic-hotiline mother of actor, Sylvester Stallone. That poor woman -- despite Botox and cosmetic surgery, her tired eyes, puffy lower lip, and not-all-there personality have always made me think of her son after a boxing match, but stoned and wearing a bad wig.

Anyway, Ms. Stallone was on TV to announce her dogs' prediction for the upcoming California gubernatorial recall election. And while we're on that topic, whose idea was the moronic-sounding word, "gubernatorial" anyway? It sounds like they're either electing the state peanut.

Ms. Stallone claims that her dogs (which sat silently nearby) are psychic channelers, who have correctly predicted many elections in the recent past, including those of Tony Blair, and current California Governor, Gray Davis (whose name she couldn't remember during the interview).

According to Ms. Stallone's dogs, Gray Davis will lose the recall election, and sanctioned-violence film star, Arnold Schwarzenegger, will be elected into office.

That's absurd.

The other day, I made myself a fish stick sandwich. Not finding any cocktail sauce in my refrigerator, I decided to put a little ketchup on my sandwich. When I shook my 64oz. ketchup bottle before opening it, it clearly said "Bustamante, Bustamante, Bustamante." And judging from the amount of ketchup in the bottle, it appears that Bustamante is going to win the election with more than 40% of the votes.

Scoff all you want, but my ketchup has never lied to me before.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
http://www.computerbob.com
One Of The Largest One-Person Sites On The Web
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Re: Canines, condiments, and the California recall election

Post by homaquebec » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:31 am

ComputerBob wrote: When I shook my 64oz. ketchup bottle before opening it, it clearly said "Bustamante, Bustamante, Bustamante." And judging from the amount of ketchup in the bottle, it appears that Bustamante is going to win the election with more than 40% of the votes.

Scoff all you want, but my ketchup has never lied to me before.
I tried to make a prediction the way you did. Is it because I have one litter bottle almost full, I did not hear anything. Does it mean that nothing will happen? :roll:

My question was : Would it be possible to use expressions in the field subjet or in the body to recognize spam? :?

ComputerBob, keep writing "short novels"; you do it very well!

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:18 pm

Bruno,
In my case, I never asked my ketchup bottle any questions (Why would I do that?)

I simply shook it to mix the ketchup inside, and it volunteered the California recall election information on its own. I guess it had been sitting there in my cold, dark refrigerator, just waiting for the opportunity to tell someone its prediction.

My advice to you is to go out and buy thousands of bottles of ketchup and shake each one. Maybe one of them will be waiting to tell you the answer to your question.

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:55 pm

They're coming to take me away,
Haha, they're coming to take me away,
Ho ho, hee hee, ha ha,
To the funny farm
Where Life is Beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see
Those Nice Young Men
In their Clean White Coats
And they're coming to take me AWAY,
HA HAAAAA

They're coming to take me away,
Ho ho, hee hee, ha ha,
To the Happy Home with Trees and Flowers
And Chirping Birds and basket weavers
Who sit and smile and
Twiddle their thumbs and toes
And they're coming to Take me Away,
HAHAAAAAAAAA

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:08 pm

Nice topic bob :)

Before the days of internet one could easily think that all americans where this way.
By communication on forums like this i found out that there are many u.s. citizens that are well educated and nice people to speak with.

About the californian election:
It is a good thing that people from out of the politcal circle can run for election. But the way things turn out now it seems more a sort of show that makes democracy look ridiculous.

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:20 pm

When I see voters making what I consider to be incredibly shallow and/or stupid choices, I'm often reminded of the fact that Adolph Hitler was voted into power.

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:45 pm

Yes you are right.
This summer i visited normandy in france and i saw again what it took to get rid of him.
Beside the remains of the battlefields/sites i visited cemetairies of both american/canadien/british and the germans.
For the third time in my life i was deeply impressed by the fact that thousands of young men gave their life in the name of freedom or in the name of an elected dictator.
(The first time was when i was 6 and my parents took me to an american cemitary in margraten (NL) and tought me some history. This year i took my 6 year old son to teach him........)

So indeed we should take democracy serious. But we, the people who vote, are the ones who finally decide.

Did you know even saddam was elected?

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:47 pm

ComputerBob wrote:Bruno,
My advice to you is to go out and buy thousands of bottles of ketchup and shake each one. Maybe one of them will be waiting to tell you the answer to your question.
My dear friend, what will I do with thousands of bottles of ketchup? You want me to get an ache to my back when carrying this stuff? :wink:

I think it would be better to write my question ANYWHERE! :P

Beside that, I agree with quosego. I discover a bit of you when I visited your website. I specially like your Personal Stuff section : the text about your pets but also others ones very touching.

You write interesting things in a very interesting (and good) way. :o

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:03 am

quosego wrote:Yes you are right.
This summer i visited normandy in france and i saw again what it took to get rid of him.
Beside the remains of the battlefields/sites i visited cemetairies of both american/canadien/british and the germans.
For the third time in my life i was deeply impressed by the fact that thousands of young men gave their life in the name of freedom or in the name of an elected dictator.
(The first time was when i was 6 and my parents took me to an american cemitary in margraten (NL) and tought me some history. This year i took my 6 year old son to teach him........)

So indeed we should take democracy serious. But we, the people who vote, are the ones who finally decide.

Did you know even saddam was elected?
People tend to forget that at least 25 mio russians died too in THEIR struggle against the germans, and that they kept the germans busy for years and years on a front where the clear majority of the german forces and material was destroyed.

THEY battled the germans on a several thousand kilometer long front from the summer of 1941 to 1945!

Remember their suffering too - always! Without their sacrifices a mighty German army would have been welcoming the Allied Troops on D-day...

The invasion was in 1944! The russians turned the tide late in 1942 after 1½ years of total invasion and devastation!

Think about visiting a cemetary with 25+ million graves! THATS Russia!

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:28 am

ComputerBob wrote:When I see voters making what I consider to be incredibly shallow and/or stupid choices, I'm often reminded of the fact that Adolph Hitler was voted into power.
Please don't take it personal: by using this comparison you missed the mark... by far! Please do keep history and the facts concerning Germany in the early 1930s in mind. It's in no way comparable to what is happening in California.

That's not because I am German, nobody here is proud of what happened between 1930 and 1945 but you have to see the political, economical and sociological reasons for that election as well. Besides, back then nobody could fully imagine what would happen when Hitler came to power. You may call it naive - maybe yes, I'd rather say no - it's a topic too complicated and to horrible regarding the outcome to use it in a simple comparison like that.
Last edited by Bateman on Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:31 am

Yes Curtz, i am aware of that. As a matter of fact as we start to count the countries that participated in regaining freedom we could make a very long list.

This topic started about elections and democracy, and i guess that is exactly the reason why the eastern front of WWII does not get the attention it should have.
After the war this part of europe did not switch over to modern democracy, where people are free to speak and free to choose. Maybe this makes it even more sad for people and nations that contributed at such an high price to the freedom of western europe..........

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:12 am

Bateman wrote:Please don't take it personal: by using this comparison you missed the mark... by far! Please do keep history and the facts concerning Germany in the early 1930s in mind. It's in no way comparable to what is happening in California.
I'm sorry that you were offended by my comment. I did not compare the two. I simply tried to make the point that voters throughout history have made bad decisions that came back to haunt them. You may disagree, but I believe that Hitler was just an extremely obvious example of that.

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:50 am

It's not about being offended, in no way. I mainly agree with your last statement. But in Hitlers case, to be more precise, it was less stupidity than desperation (and political intrigues) that the Germans voted for him.

The thing is that - for me as a German and as a student of Political Sciences - this is a sensitve topic to talk about, So maybe my reaction seemed a bit harsh, that was not my intention and I apologise as well.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:29 pm

I agree with Bateman. I study history at the University of Copenhagen, and from what I have learned, Bateman is right.

As a historian I can tell you one thing; avoid comparing to things like they were twins, the most difficult part of being a historian is to understand the past fully.

Understanding Germany in 1930 is almost impossible today, and if you want to anyway.. it will take a decade of serious work to know enough to get a small picture of the complex political situation, the mood in the population (and the world at the time).

Looking at the election in California it looks like no one learns from the past or the present... well, this election is not sop dangegrous though. :)

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:52 pm

Curtz wrote:They're coming to take me away,
Ho ho, hee hee, ha ha,
:o Hey, I've heard something like that in spanish:

Ya siento que vienen por mí, ja-ja.
Ya siento que vienen por mí, ja-ja.
Jo-jo, je-je, ja-jaaaa!!!

It was the theme from a TV show in Chile about two years ago, with gags very like Saturday Night Alive. It was named "Ya siento que vienen por mí" and lasted only one season, but it was funny.

++V

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:14 pm

Anonymous wrote:As a historian I can tell you one thing; avoid comparing to things like they were twins...
This is the second time I'm saying this: I did not make any such comparisons. :o

Please stop jumping to unsupported conclusions.

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:45 pm

I was just speaking generally, supporting Batemans view.