Error message in PopTray 3.0.1

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

reaperos2
First Timer

Error message in PopTray 3.0.1

Post by reaperos2 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:01 am

Good evening,

I have PopTray 3.0.1 that I have been using for several weeks. I have used MailWasher previously.

I recently took the email addresses from the MailWasher whitelist/blacklist and copy-and-pasted them into Whitelist.ptdat and Blacklist.ptdat.

When I select options in PopTray, and then click on "White/Black List" I get the error message "Text exceeds memo capacity."

I don't know what the limit is. My blacklist contains 5669 entries and the whitelist contains 477 entries. This is not a big issue since I can still edit/delete/update the ptdat files manually.

I just thought you would like to know.

Thanks,
Grim

reaperos2
First Timer

Post by reaperos2 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:03 am

Downloaded ver 3.0.2. Just to let you know, this version still will not display the Black/White lists. (Still too large.)

Thanks.
Grim

P.S. Keep up the good work.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:42 pm

Probably all you need to do is open PopTray, click the OPTIONS tab, then click WHITELIST / BLACKLIST in the left hand window. In the appropriate section PASTE in your lists. Then make sure to click SAVE before exiting this section.

After that all of your white or blacklists items should be in PopTray.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

reaperos2
First Timer

Post by reaperos2 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:22 am

Thanks, Dave.

I already have them in the BlackList. I just can not display the Blacklist from within PopTray. Error message is "Text exceeds memo capacity."

Guess it can't handle my massive blacklist. :{)>

Take care,
Grim

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:21 am

You blacklist is too big, and possibly also ineffective?

If you blacklist every spammer you know, then you should know that most of them use a false FROM address; blacklisting a false address is just a waste of time. The next time the spammers will send out their spam, they will change the from address to something else.

My blacklist is empty. I let K9 slaughter the spam, and if anything needs to be blacklisted, I blacklist it in K9. Then it will mark it as spam, and my single spamrule in PopTray will delete it.
Support World Animal Protection!

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."

metalmakker
Evolving

Post by metalmakker » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:15 am

Curtz!
Your remark in this forum made me check out K9. I never heard of this software and since Poptray only removes 50% of the spam I get (about 100 of these little bastards every day!) I checked it out. It seems promising. I installed it and it works fine when I check email with my email program, Pegasus, but not when Poptray checks it. I can see K9 is doing something, but the email header doesn't show up in the list of new email. Do you have any idea what might be the problem?
Maybe this is not something for this forum so you can either reply here or email me at ----- email address removed -----
Thanks in advance!
If it's too fast, you're too old...

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:55 am

metalmakker wrote:Curtz!
I installed it and it works fine when I check email with my email program, Pegasus, but not when Poptray checks it. I can see K9 is doing something, but the email header doesn't show up in the list of new email. Do you have any idea what might be the problem?
It could be fixed a couple of ways.

1st way to fix - On PopTray OPTIONS, ADVANCED OPTIONS, check the box for "Retrieve body while checking"

That will probably take care of the problem.

2nd way to fix - in K9 v 117 on the ADVANCED tab check the box for "Translate 'TOP n0' commands into 'RETR n0'

in K9 v 117 on the ADVANCED tab check the box for 'add spam emails retrieved via 'TOP n0' command to database.

in K9 v 117 on the ADVANCED tab check the box for 'add spam emails retrieved via 'TOP n0' to 'RECENT'

Use the first way if you don't mind all of your accounts retrieving the entire email. Use the second way if you want some of your accounts to use K9 and others to not retrieve the entire email.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

metalmakker
Evolving

Thanks

Post by metalmakker » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:57 am

Thanks KY Dave, the first option already did it for me. I will check out the advanced features when I feel totally confident with the program. I have lost too many emails by doing stupid things with my email program in the past so I'm more careful now, but K9 really seems a good tool.

Thanks again for the help!
If it's too fast, you're too old...

rvdc2003
Enthusiast

SpamPal

Post by rvdc2003 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:30 pm

You should give SpamPal (www.spampal.org) a try, too. I'm using it in conjunction with PopTray, and it filters about 95% of all junk mail.
I personally prefer SpamPal over K9.