"Connect Error: Connection Closed Gracefully"

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

AHalma
Still here

"Connect Error: Connection Closed Gracefully"

Post by AHalma » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:23 am

I'm running version 3.0.1 under Windows XP Home Edition. I have a broadband (cable) internet connection. Sometimes, while checking my mail server, PopTray will display the message "Connect Error: Connection closed gracefully". I know that my internet connection is working because my browser, mail reader, etc. all work fine. My mail reader (Netscape 6.2) has no problem checking my mail account and downloading messages.

Sometimes PopTray will notify me of new e-mail and then display the above error. Sometimes it will display the above error without finding any mail, although there is new mail waiting. Sometimes, it finds and reports my new mail successfully, with no error message. I suspect it has to do with the volume of new messages. The more new messages there are, the more likely I am to get the error message.

I didn't see this same problem reported by anyone else. Any idea what's causing it? Is there a fix or work-around?

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:59 pm

Concerning the problem I found the following:
"Connection Closed Gracefully" is an exception signaling that the connection has been closed by the other side intentionally. This is not the same as a broken connection which would cause a connection reset
AFAIK, this error message is related to the server, not to PopTray. I get that message sometimes as well, but in my case it's neither related to the amount of messages nor the volume. I suspect that it might be somehow related to "hammering" the mailserver or just some weird server configuration.

Maybe Renier has a better explanation :)

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:30 pm

Something to look for on your end of the system would be to make sure you don't have another program, such as Outlook or Outlook Express checking for email at the same time PopTray is doing a check.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

AHalma
Still here

Connect Error: Connection Closed Gracefully

Post by AHalma » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:51 pm

Bateman wrote:Concerning the problem I found the following:
"Connection Closed Gracefully" is an exception signaling that the connection has been closed by the other side intentionally. This is not the same as a broken connection which would cause a connection reset
AFAIK, this error message is related to the server, not to PopTray. I get that message sometimes as well, but in my case it's neither related to the amount of messages nor the volume. I suspect that it might be somehow related to "hammering" the mailserver or just some weird server configuration.

Maybe Renier has a better explanation :)
Ah, but this doesn't explain why my Netscape mail reader doesn't report any errors checking my mail. If it was a server problem, wouldn't all my mail readers be affected?

AHalma
Still here

Connect Error: Connection Closed Gracefully

Post by AHalma » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:53 pm

KY Dave wrote:Something to look for on your end of the system would be to make sure you don't have another program, such as Outlook or Outlook Express checking for email at the same time PopTray is doing a check.
Thanx, but I thought of that. No other mail readers of any kind are running.

Bateman
PopTray Family

Re: Connect Error: Connection Closed Gracefully

Post by Bateman » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:33 am

AHalma wrote: If it was a server problem, wouldn't all my mail readers be affected?
Good question - no reasonable answer :)

I do encounter the same problem: PT refuses to check while the mails can be downloaded using my mailclient (OE). So I assume that this must be some temporary (very temporary) problem. Villain should be the server nevertheless since I can check with PT again right afterwards.

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:57 am

My own experience with Eudora tells me that sometimes this conncection close gracefully happens without any good reason.

AHalma
Still here

Re: Connect Error: Connection Closed Gracefully

Post by AHalma » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:11 am

Bateman wrote:
AHalma wrote: If it was a server problem, wouldn't all my mail readers be affected?
Good question - no reasonable answer :)

I do encounter the same problem: PT refuses to check while the mails can be downloaded using my mailclient (OE). So I assume that this must be some temporary (very temporary) problem. Villain should be the server nevertheless since I can check with PT again right afterwards.
Same here. That's why I suspect volume has something to do with it. For example, there might be 10 new messages, and PopTray will give me the Connect Error. It will keep repeating the same error, no matter how often I ask it to check. Then I download those 10 messages with my regular mail reader, and have PopTray check again. Now, the Connect Error is gone (but so are all the messages, of course). If a single new message comes in before PopTray checks again, PopTray will report the new message correctly (I suspect because there's only one). It seems that I run into trouble only when several new messages have built up.

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:58 pm

AHalma,
I do not agree with you. I experienced this problem also with empty mailboxes. :evil:

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:53 am

"Connection Closed Gracefully" is the error that Indy gives when the server disconnects the connection unexpectedly. When working through K9 I also get this error when K9 can't connect with the server, because PopTray is really connecting to K9 and K9 the disconnects.

AHalma
Still here

Post by AHalma » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:16 am

Renier wrote:"Connection Closed Gracefully" is the error that Indy gives when the server disconnects the connection unexpectedly. When working through K9 I also get this error when K9 can't connect with the server, because PopTray is really connecting to K9 and K9 the disconnects.
Well, curiously enough, ever since I opened this topic, PopTray has been behaving much better about checking my mail for me. Today, there were 11 messages on the server. 6 of them were recognized as spam and deleted and the other 5 were successfully listed/previewed. So now I believe that the server is at least partially to blame. However, this still doesn't explain the fact that there have been times when PopTray has displayed the "Connection Closed Gracefully" message when checking for new mail while my regular mail reader found and downloaded the messages without incident. Could PopTray perhaps be a little too sensitive to server timeouts or something like that?

BTW, pardon my ignorance, but what are "Indy" and "K9"?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:58 am

AHalma wrote:BTW, pardon my ignorance, but what are "Indy" and "K9"?
KY Dave wrote:Several of PopTray users are using K9 (http://keir.net).

The one rule I use for spam is SUBJECT, CONTAINS, SPAM, DELETE (or MARK AS SPAM), IGNORE.

And that is it, I don't try to out smart the spammers, I just use K9 to filter it out. I have our friends addresses in the PopTray Whitelist so they aren't automatically deleted. If I lose a needed email, I just open K9 and it keeps a copy inside for easy retrieval.
Read this thread for more info on K9.

The only thing you have to do is keep up to date on your whitelist. K9 will take care of at least 98% of your spam with just one rule.
K9 is a SPAM filtering program that is free.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:25 pm

AHalma wrote:However, this still doesn't explain the fact that there have been times when PopTray has displayed the "Connection Closed Gracefully" message when checking for new mail while my regular mail reader found and downloaded the messages without incident.
That's what I meant by a "very temporary" problem. It might seem that it's just a matter of seconds (if at all) that any software - be it PT or the mailclient - is able and/or allowed to establish a new connection to the server.

Mighty strange nevertheless so I will keep blaming it on the server since the one that gives me these error messages is a weird one anyway :wink:

metalmakker
Evolving

Same problem

Post by metalmakker » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:16 pm

I have the same problem a lot, but in my case it is because I get spam from different yahoo.com accounts that seems to prevent my email program (poptray, as well as Pegasus) from retrieving the email. Once I remove the yahoo.com email by downloading the headers only everything is ok and all email can be retrieved with no error messages.

Does anyone else get the same spam from yahoo.com addresses? And what could be wrong with these messages so they prevent poptray to retrieve them? :|

Henry
If it's too fast, you're too old...

arhoolie
Still here

Post by arhoolie » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:40 am

I had this problem today, too. PopTray 3.0.2 on Win2k, running downstream from SpamPal 1.53. It seemed to be related to about 4 similar spams with some very badly mangled headers. Opera's M2 could retrieve the emails as could OE 6. But PopTray gave up with the subject message. After retrieving all messages everything now appears to be back to normal.

I still have the emails and can either forward or post headers if anyone cares.

AHalma
Still here

Re: Same problem

Post by AHalma » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:57 am

metalmakker wrote:I have the same problem a lot, but in my case it is because I get spam from different yahoo.com accounts that seems to prevent my email program (poptray, as well as Pegasus) from retrieving the email. Once I remove the yahoo.com email by downloading the headers only everything is ok and all email can be retrieved with no error messages.

Does anyone else get the same spam from yahoo.com addresses? And what could be wrong with these messages so they prevent poptray to retrieve them? :|

Henry
You may have something there. I also got a lot of spam from different yahoo accounts. I've hardly had the problem since my last post. PopTray seems to be humming along nicely now. Once in a while it will hiccup, but that's probably due to irregularities on the mail server end of things.

arhoolie
Still here

Post by arhoolie » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:12 am

In my case, they aren't coming from yahoo accounts; they're coming from God knows where. In one case, it appears the offending spam originated in Spain. Again, I repeat my offer to either post or forward these problematic email(s) for analysis.

This problem happened again today (4 such spams) and basically renders poptray useless, IMHO.

arhoolie
Still here

Post by arhoolie » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:14 am

One further comment: if I delete the offending spams at the server via a web interface, then poptray returns to normal.

metalmakker
Evolving

yahoo mail problem

Post by metalmakker » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:13 pm

The problem still exists. The yahoo spam mail that blocks my poptray never has a subject and there is no body. It happens every two or three days... If someone wants to check these mails that's ok, but where do I forward it to?
If it's too fast, you're too old...