Free OpenOffice 2.0 Is Ready to Download

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Free OpenOffice 2.0 Is Ready to Download

Post by homaquebec » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:55 pm

OpenOffice.org wrote: OpenOffice.org released the long-awaited version 2.0 of its free office suite for Windows, Mac and Linux on 20 October 2005 adding a new database module, support for the OpenDocument file format, a fresh user interface, and plenty of improvements and bug fixes.

OpenOffice.org 2.0 is the first open source office suite to offer thorough support for the Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) OASIS Standard. OpenDocument is an XML file format that was developed by OASIS, the international body for the development and ratification of e-Business standards. The OpenDocument format can be used by any office application without fear of vendor specific lock-in or onerous licensing terms and fees, with the confidence that documents can be viewed, edited and printed for generations to come.

The suite now also offers a database module, Base, to complement the word processor (Writer), spreadsheet manager (Calc), presentation manager (Impress) and drawing tool (Draw) modules. These give all users the tools they need to be productive in the modern world. Free for all, OpenOffice.org offers everyone the enduring freedoms to use, study, improve and share the software.
More information

Download - 60 languages available

Hobbes
Enthusiast

Post by Hobbes » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:24 pm

Just installed and I am overwhelmed. This is really good software.
Best of all: it reads and writes MS Office files so there's no need to fear about compatibility issues. :D

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:42 am

Hobbes wrote:Just installed and I am overwhelmed. This is really good software.
Best of all: it reads and writes MS Office files so there's no need to fear about compatibility issues. :D
Just a small caveat: I've read that OOo does not read and write some of the older versions of MS Office files, so that could be an issue for some folks.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
http://www.computerbob.com
One Of The Largest One-Person Sites On The Web
With Tons of Information, Software, Help, and Fun

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:08 am

It also doesn't support the MS macros... something I use in many spreadsheets...

I still think its a great set of programs.. but being MS compatible doesn't mean it will do all that the MS Office products functions. It just means that it can read the formats basically and after that... who knows.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:42 pm

On the official site of Microsoft Canada, the price of Office 2003 Win32 English CD (it is the same thing in French) is 539.00 CAN$ which is half the price of a complete brand new computer.

In comparison, the excellent WordPerfect Office 12 Standard Edition that many people consider as being a better product that the Microsoft suite is sold 324.99 CAN$ for the box version and 274.99 CAN$ for the download version. Even PCWorld writes: "Latest WordPerfect Suite Boasts Microsoft Office Compatibility for Less". Is it necessary to add that The USA Justice Department Picks Corel's WordPerfect Suite For 50 000 Employees [probably making $BG$ very angry]? More information on the product here.

How to become billionnaire?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:48 pm

Open Office 2.0 Released

OpenOffice.org 2.0, the first office application suite to feature native support for the OASIS-approved OpenDocument file format, was released Thursday morning, one week following the project's fifth anniversary of its founding.

OpenOffice.org 2.0 is available in 36 languages and able to run natively on Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X (X11) and several other platforms.

...but let's get back to brass tacks again.
OpenOffice.org's price tag: 0.
Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003's list price: $499 new,
$329 as an upgrade.

Day in and day out office usability? For all practical purposes, they're about the same.
It doesn't offer 'compatability' with M$ files, but it does read the files. It will open them, then you must convert to OO 2.0 file format to actually change and save data.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:10 pm

The french version has been released Thursday (October 27). I downloaded it and installed it yestertay. I am making different tests. Comments will follow in some days.

Up to now, I am very pleased to can get, FREE, such a powerful multi-programs software that seems to work as well as other suites (MS, Corel) if not better for some features.

I can already write that OpenOffice opens Word 4.0 and Word 5.5 files.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

One plus and one minus + an interesting discovery

Post by homaquebec » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:09 pm

One plus and one minus + an interesting discovery

With Writer (OpenOffice), it is possible to add page numbers to a complete document but it is also possible to delete a page number on some pages according to rules related to the presentation of a report or a these, what is nos possible with Word (MS Office).

With Impression (OpenOffice), it is not possible to have an audio file playing from the beginning of the presentation till the end of the slide show (or for a given number of slides) and to have this audio file being integrated to the presentation such a way that the presentation becomes one file. With PowerPoint 97, 2000, and 2002 (MS Office), it is possible to have an audio file playing from the beginning till the end or for a given number of slides (MS Office 2003). In addition, the audio file can be integrated to the slide show such a way that the entire presentation holds in one file.

Here is now an interesting an amazing thing. If you create your slide show with Impression and add the sound file the same way you will do with PowerPoint, as I wrote, it will not be possible to play the slide show with the sound in Impression but it is possible to do so if you use the [free] PowerPoint viewer. This is a very interesting marriage of the expensive softwares with the free open source softwares.

PowerPoint viewer 2003 (1906 KB) can be downloaded here.

PowerPoint viewer 97, 2000, and 2002 (2789 KB) can be downloaded here.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Playing a Presentation document with background sound

Post by homaquebec » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:37 pm

If you want to create a slide show with Presentation of OpenOffice with a sound playing in background, you could be interested by this post and the thread that contains in on Open Office forum.

ComputerBob
Guru

Re: Playing a Presentation document with background sound

Post by ComputerBob » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:56 pm

homaquebec wrote:If you want to create a slide show with Presentation of OpenOffice with a sound playing in background, you could be interested by this post and the thread that contains in on Open Office forum.
I read that exact same tip at the end of a OOo 2.0 review a few weeks ago. You must have read that same review.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:50 pm

You should specify what tip tou are talking about.

If it is the way to have sound playing in backgound of a slide show, I wrote that in notes of a course that I give since some years. In their appreciation of the course, "students" wrote that they got more that they were expecting. OO 2.0 did not exist when I wrote the notes the first time and even after having read some books on PowerPoint, I had not found the "tip".

If it is the fact that Power Point viewer can play a slide show prepared with OO Presentation, includind the background sound, what Presesentation 2.0 cannot do, I discovered this tip by myself Monday, October 31, 2005 during my first tests with the software and since many people complained about the Presentation bug I posted the tip. Nice people thanked me.

Great minds can meet even if they are separated by distance.

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:37 pm

ComputerBob wrote:
homaquebec wrote:If you want to create a slide show with Presentation of OpenOffice with a sound playing in background, you could be interested by this post and the thread that contains in on Open Office forum.
I read that exact same tip at the end of a OOo 2.0 review a few weeks ago. You must have read that same review.
And???
Support World Animal Protection!

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:40 pm

Curtz wrote:And???
If you want my answer, I already wrote it above:
If it is the way to have sound playing in backgound of a slide show, I wrote that in notes of a course that I give since some years. In their appreciation of the course, "students" wrote that they got more that they were expecting. OO 2.0 did not exist when I wrote the notes the first time and even after having read some books on PowerPoint, I had not found the "tip".

Great minds can meet even if they are separated by distance.
Anyway, I am pleased to learn that my english is as good as OO 2.0 reviewers. In addition, I must say that I wrote the post when working with a french version of Presentation so I was never sure about the right way to translate a word or an expression from the interface.

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:53 pm

Curtz wrote:
ComputerBob wrote:
And???
I really preferred to not have to say anything more on this subject, because it brought out a lot of anger among PT forum members in the past.... but your reply puts me on the spot to respond, so here goes: If you read through the posts in this category, you'll see that, more than once, homaquebec copied and pasted copyrighted news stories here without attribution, giving the impression that he had written them himself. It appeared to me that he had done it again in this thread, so I posted my message above as a subtle reminder to him to not do that any more, but he says he didn't it this time so I believe him.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:08 pm

ComputerBob wrote:I really preferred to not have to say anything more on this subject, because it brought out a lot of anger among PT forum members in the past.... but your reply puts me on the spot to respond, so here goes: If you read through the posts in this category, you'll see that, more than once, homaquebec copied and pasted copyrighted news stories here without attribution, giving the impression that he had written them himself. It appeared to me that he had done it again in this thread, so I posted my message above as a subtle reminder to him to not do that any more, but he says he didn't it this time so I believe him.
I do respond too. You write things without prooves. You suppose. You do like your president and his helps who supposed, lied, and killed thousands of innocent peoples, torturing here and there, spendig billions dollars, managing the USA Torture Air Line which is a disgrace for the whole world.

If you want to give ethic lessons, do not search on this forum; there are plenty of persons well identified that need some.

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:55 am

Give us a break, Bob. It is nothing but a tip and that kind of innocent knowledge should flow freely.

You should stay silent, homaquebec even links to the original articles.

Check out the openoffice forum, no copyright paranoia there, only free flow of knowledge and kind help. We all work a lot for free, not giving a damn about the time we use... (time is money).

Homaquebec is extremely helpfu and referring to his sources all the time. And regarding small pictures with no reference... there must be a limit for how much you go into detail with this silly copyright stuff. It is after all not exactly expensive medicine homaquebec copies, robbing the manufacturer for billions.
Support World Animal Protection!

"To ensure that the principles of animal welfare are universally understood and respected and protected by enforced legislation."

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:21 am

Renier wrote:I very much doubt whether that site has the copyright for all those images on its website. They are probably just as guilty.
It seems to me, from reading his posts, that Renier isn't worried about the copyright issues,
so users should concentrate on policing their own posts and material.
Renier wrote:The last few weeks there has been some political messages on the forum. I haven't replied to any of them, because I don't want to get involved. But I do ask that people refrain from this.
It also seems to me, from reading his posts, that Renier has also asked that users refrain from political posts, so users should not make political posts on this forum.

Thanks,
KY Dave

ComputerBob
Guru

Post by ComputerBob » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:12 pm

KY Dave wrote:
Renier wrote:I very much doubt whether that site has the copyright for all those images on its website. They are probably just as guilty.
It seems to me, from reading his posts, that Renier isn't worried about the copyright issues,
so users should concentrate on policing their own posts and material....
Thanks,
KY Dave
I believe it is the responsibility of forum owners and moderators to police such issues, to protect the forum owner from the ramifications of allowing and ignoring copyright infringements in their forums.