3.2beta5 POP SSL error message "APOP not supported"

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

sgp
Still here

3.2beta5 POP SSL error message "APOP not supported"

Post by sgp » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:14 pm

sometimes when I'm showing the message list for Google - which connects as POP SSL using the POP/SSL/IMAP plugin - if I click on'check' I get error message "server do not support APOP... (no timeout)"
It happened also with another POP SSL account, not just Google.
It happened also when I clicked on 'test account' in the accounts page. It doesn't happen all the times. I was changing configuration back and forth between POP and POP SSL and back again a few times, after which it started happening.
Restarting PopTray fixed it, till when I'm not sure, because then it happened again.

sgp
Still here

Post by sgp » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:28 am

I can reproduce all the times.
Set up Google mail as POP SLL.
Restart PproTray.
Google mail is retrieved via POP SLL the first time, then message
"Server do not support APOP (no timeout)" is displayed
From now on the same message is always shown and message retrieval fails.

sgp
Still here

bug FIX but I need someone to recompile

Post by sgp » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:15 pm

I think I found a fix for this problem. This bug manifests itself when you check both a POP3 SLL *and* a POP APOP account. The plugin source code (version 0.6) sets a flag for APOP that never gets cleared. Therefore POP SSL works on the first check -- if no APOP check happened before -- but it stops working after the first APOP check is completed.

Try with Google in POP SSL mode. Start poptray and check google (ok); now check a POP APOP account (ok); now check Google again => error message "the server do not support APOP".

FIX
----
In file ProtocolPOP3SSL.dpr
within archive opTrayPlugins_Source_beta6.zip
change:

procedure Disconnect;
begin
POP.Disconnect;
POP.POP.APOP := False;
end;

Please I need someone to recompile and post the new plugin.
Thanks in advance

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:53 pm

I've re-compiled it, and put it here.

Unfortunately I've already upgraded to Indy 10 on my machine, so that code might not work at all. It is totally untested.

I had to make other changes to compile it with the Indy 10 componets. This is what the Indy 10 changed code looks like:

Code: Select all

procedure Connect(Server : PChar; Port : integer; Protocol,UserName,Password : PChar; TimeOut : integer);
begin
  if Pos('APOP',Protocol) > 0 then
    POP.POP.AuthType := atAPOP
  else
    POP.POP.AuthType := atUserPass;
  if Port = 995 then
    POP.POP.IOHandler := SSL
  else
    POP.POP.IOHandler := nil;
  POP.Connect(Server,Port,Protocol,UserName,Password,TimeOut);
end;
The other option is to dowloand the free version of Turbo Delphi and compile it using that (with Indy 9).

sgp
Still here

Post by sgp » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:28 pm

Thank you for recompiling it. Unfortunately it doesn't work.
APOP works, but SSL can't make the connection; after what seems a timeout I get a message from poptray saying "connection gracefully closed", or something like that. In one case poptray simply died.
Renier wrote:The other option is to dowloand the free version of Turbo Delphi and compile it using that (with Indy 9).
The issue for me is that I can't program; this is almost Greek to me, though I was able to spot that one missing line. I hope someone with Indy9 will step forward. BTW, what's Indy?

You said that the POP3 SLL plugin is totally untested. Did you mean that the recompiled version is untested, or the old version? But KI Dave recommends to use it for Gmail, and I think a lot of people -like me- are likely to need POP3 SSL.

Thank you again.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:21 pm

I just meant the re-compiled version is untested (I didn't even try to run it).

Indy is a set Delphi components that allows you to do internet protocol coding (like POP3 for emails). When you install Turbo Delphi it asks you whether you want Indy 9 or Indy 10 (they are not completely compatible).

When I have a little bit more time I'll have a look at fixing the APOP problem.