resources

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Oler

Post by Oler » Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:37 pm

ilNebbioso wrote::D
Yes, this IS an italian thing! :wink:

Oler, helping you by email is quite difficult because:
1) you didn't leave your email address
2) are you sure it is a PopTray problem? ...and not (e.g.) the Antivirus software too blinded (I had a bad experience in this way with McAfee Viruscan 6). Try to run PT without any application started (Antivirus, applcations and tray programs!). Feel free to answer me directly by this forum.
ilNebbioso®
OMG! Too many replies for a little resources problem and a big topic about PIZZA! :lol:

Anyway: I've McAfee (bugt in 1988 and always upgraded) and some application in task. I was using SimpleCheck as e-mail checker. After a try with Norton System, SimpleCheck take 2% resources and PT 8%, That's all.

Here my address: cav.oliviero@tin.it (ADSL line)

Have a nice holidays and a good one to the group. :wink:

Oliviero a.k.a. Oler a.k.a. Old BBS Fidonet Sysop. :!:

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:03 pm

Oler wrote:I was using SimpleCheck as e-mail checker. After a try with Norton System, SimpleCheck take 2% resources and PT 8%, That's all.
Maybe we could help if we know in which relation the percentages are. 2% can be loads of ressources, can be peanuts as well, according to your system. In any case, using the Norton stuff, this consumes a damn lot of memory. Possibly the figures in this thread http://forum.crause.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=351 might help you to get closer to the problem.

Oler
Still here

Post by Oler » Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:23 pm

Bateman wrote:Maybe we could help if we know in which relation the percentages are. 2% can be loads of ressources, can be peanuts as well, according to your system. In any case, using the Norton stuff, this consumes a damn lot of memory. Possibly the figures in this thread http://forum.crause.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=351 might help you to get closer to the problem.
I use Norton only to verify something and after I close it. In this case I opened Norton and ran PT. Before the user resources was 45%, after 35%.. so the consumption is 10%.
Thanks anyway for link: it's interesting and saw that others users have memory problem.

Now you can go to eat a Pizza Capricciosa. :D

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:08 pm

You're welcome because of the link...

Concerning the Norton stuff: I would be cautious since even closing the software doesn't set all ressources free. So maybe the picture might not be 100% correct. Also, the memory management of non-NT-systems (like Win98) is not the best... Anyway, I hope ilNebbioso could help you a little more with your problem.

:!: Maybe you can re-check your results with another software that works quite similar to the task manager in NT-based OS. Would be very helpful as well.

And now I'll have a nice and cold beer! (I had a selfmade pizza this afternoon :) ) - Cheers to all 8)

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:56 pm

ilNebbioso wrote:Yes, surely we could open a new thread when it will be possible to meet somewhere in sometime... but now, why change our uses seen that Renier is not here?? :twisted:

Seriously: this meeting are always welcome. If you, Curtz, or others good-PT-tester-of-the-community will pass throu Milan, please advice me to meet also for few minutes.... :D

ps. I do not drink any alcoolic... :!:
I would be nice to see some of you guys in the real world... If you do drink COFFEE, then everything is going to be aaaallriiighht... :D

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:08 pm

Welcome back, Curtz!! Hope your holiday was not too stressful... 8)

Maybe we can arrange some meeting in the near future although it seems that not a lot of people are keen on meeting up to now- regarding the post of our Italian friend in the "Anything" section.

Oler
Still here

Post by Oler » Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:44 pm

Curtz wrote: I would be nice to see some of you guys in the real world... If you do drink COFFEE, then everything is going to be aaaallriiighht... :D
I don't know when or where I already saw your pic and your face isn't new to me.

I surf around the world from 1985 in BBS, Minitel, Videotel and Internet. Maybe you were in someplace. :roll:

Take care.

8)
Oler

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:04 pm

Bateman wrote:Concerning the Norton stuff: I would be cautious since even closing the software doesn't set all ressources free. So maybe the picture might not be 100% correct. Also, the memory management of non-NT-systems (like Win98) is not the best... Anyway, I hope ilNebbioso could help you a little more with your problem.

:!: Maybe you can re-check your results with another software that works quite similar to the task manager in NT-based OS. Would be very helpful as well.
Yes, it is! All Win9x/ME softwares don't leave memory in a good way, and Win9x/ME doesn't use it well too...!

So, I suggest to use a memory cleaner (I think this isn't the right name...) before making test: I personally use Analogx MaxMem http://www.analogx.com/, but it is one like others (are there any freeware sw similar as MaxMem?).

I'll wait the results!!!!

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:09 pm

Hey Curtz, watch out!!
Oler wrote: I don't know when or where I already saw your pic and your face isn't new to me
This is the worst pickup line I've ever heard!!! :D

--------------------
ilNebbioso wrote:So, I suggest to use a memory cleaner
I think this is a very good solution for the beginning and should work! Oler, you'll find good ones at any download store.

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:40 pm

Oler wrote:I don't know when or where I already saw your pic and your face isn't new to me.
8)
I am tired... :? My real pic (you cannot have seen it!) or my avatar?

Curtz
Priceless

Post by Curtz » Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:48 pm

Bateman wrote:Welcome back, Curtz!! Hope your holiday was not too stressful... 8)

Maybe we can arrange some meeting in the near future although it seems that not a lot of people are keen on meeting up to now- regarding the post of our Italian friend in the "Anything" section.
It was perfect, thank you. I really need it (and deserved it)...

Concerninbg the meeting... Well, it would be the event of the year to meet the people from this forum, but then to arrange it and to travel... it is not easy for a man with my calender and to-do list... I believe that you guys on the forum feel the same, and perharps people are not certain what the get if they should agree to a meeting?

But it is great to know that if we happen to be near each other, then we could meet an chat... live!

I live in Copenhagen - it would be great to drink a cup of coffee with one of you freaks... or a beer! 8)

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:03 am

Concerning the meeting I think that the wedding of ilNebbioso's relative in Bielefeld (Germany) could be an excellent opportunity next year - if you are willing to travel a few miles and I think we could activate some more people, MBaas e.g. (really a nice one!). Btw, I live in Karlsruhe, right in the south-west of Germany, and not far away from where MBaas lives.

Anyway, you all are right. It's damn good to know that we could visit each other if the opportunity is given. And having a tea with our Italian friend - or a few beers with the rest :D

Oler
Still here

Post by Oler » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:14 pm

Curtz wrote:I am tired... :? My real pic (you cannot have seen it!) or my avatar?
Sorry me, I forgot to put a big ROFL :lol: at end.

Your avatar of course.. I saw something like it in Indonesia! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahemm.. it's a summer joke due to hot, humidity and storms all coming from Milan! :evil:
Oler

Oler
Still here

Post by Oler » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:32 pm

Grazie per il link to the ilNebbioso, and thanks too Bateman.

Today my secretary is working for me .. so I stay at home to "play" with some software. :)

It's just a relax because, really, my pc configuration work perfectly with Win=98SE and also in office with NT.
My curiosity simply was find out because PT take a bit more memory than others mailcheckers. Anyway PT is the best one I found.

Arrivederci, see you, a bientôt!
Oler

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:31 pm

Oler wrote:My curiosity simply was find out because PT take a bit more memory than others mailcheckers.
Some do need more, some less. I wouldn't mind as long as it's not too much or excessive. But since you are using an NT system at work, you might re-check the results and compare them to your Win98 system.

Oler
Still here

Still alive...

Post by Oler » Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:42 pm

just to see if that stuff still work on my new pc with win2k...

See ya all! :o

BTW: now v.2.1 run fine!
Oler

retrocomputing
First Timer

Re: resources

Post by retrocomputing » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:25 am

Hi people, I'm from Italy too, I'm searching for the italian.ptlang file, have you a link to share ?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: resources

Post by Rdsok » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:30 am

retrocomputing wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:25 am
Hi people, I'm from Italy too, I'm searching for the italian.ptlang file, have you a link to share ?
Poptray itself is no longer supported.... but there is a newer version made by Jessica Brown ( jojobear99 on this forum ) called PoptrayU and it's compatible with Windows Vista - Windows 10 unlike Poptray... It also includes the Italian language file you are asking about.

You can download that version from http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/